Kaltura - Known Issue - Students on Mobile Devices Receive "No source video was found" Error when viewing Kaltura media (UW-Madison)
Students on mobile devices trying to play Kaltura media may see an error "No source video was found."
Students on mobile devices (iOS and Android) who attempt to play Kaltura media that has one of two causes:
- The original video was uploaded at a low resolution (640 x 360 for example) or data rate where Kaltura does not produce a specific mobile version.
- The original video was uploaded during a specific time period: January 12, 2015 - January 26, 2015.
As of 6/12/19 the issue is still present.
If you encounter this issue there are three workarounds:
- View the video in Chrome or Firefox on a computer running Windows or OSX.
- The instructor can upload a version of the video at 1280x720 with a 4000 kb/s data rate which Kaltura will produce a mobile friendly version of. It can either be uploaded as a new video or the instructor can use Kaltura's Replace Media feature to upload the new video into the existing video's entry:
- Select the video that you would like to replace, and then click Actions → Edit.
- Click on the Replace Media tab.
- Click Upload from Desktop.
- Select the replacement video, and then click Save. Kaltura will replace the original problem video with a new video and should produce a mobile version.
- Contact the DoIT Help Desk to report the issue and have it escalated to the Learn@UW team. The Learn@UW team can try to manually produce a mobile friendly version of the problem video.