WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Turning On/Off Comments for Posts
This document will walk you through the process of finding and tweaking the WordPress settings involved with turning on and turning off comments for posts. Turning on commenting will allow more engagement with your customer base but you may want to turn them off if you are getting a lot of spam comments.
Turning On Commenting
For New Posts
By default, we turn off commenting on your site when we create your project. This is because most site owners do not want comments on their articles.
To turn on commenting for new posts, follow these steps:
For New Posts
If the commenting option had been turned on for your site and you would like to remove this option, please follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Posts in your Dashboard
- Check the box next to "Title" to select all posts
- In the Bulk Actions dropdown, select Edit
- Click the Apply button
- You should now see a Bulk Edit area at the top of your post list
- To the right, click the dropdown for Comments and choose Do Not Allow
- Click the blue Update button
- Don't forget to follow the steps for updating existing posts to avoid getting spam comments from older articles. You will have to make this change on every single post that is already published but the overall setting change will apply to any new posts.
- Turning off commenting will prevent spam messages on your blog articles and posts.
- You must be an Administrator on the site in order to update the site settings.