How to pair Surface Pen with a Microsoft Surface device and set up button commands
How to pair Surface Pen with a Microsoft Surface device
To pair your pen:
- Go to Start, and select Settings > Devices > Bluetooth.
- Turn Bluetooth on. If Surface Pen appears in the list of discovered
devices, it may not be properly paired yet. So, select it from the list
and remove the device.
- Surface will then re-discover the Surface Pen when you hold down the
top button of the Surface Pen for about seven seconds–until the light
in the middle of the pen clip starts to flash (on the original Surface
Pen) or the light on the flat side of the pen glows white (on the new
- When the pen now appears in the list of Bluetooth devices, select it and then choose “Pair.”
To customize your pen settings, including what happens when the top button is pressed:
- Search for Surface in the search box and open the Surface app.
- You can check pen battery life here by clicking on the battery icon.
- Click the pen icon to open pen settings. You can change pen pressure here to what you prefer.
- Click the Settings app link to open the Pen & Windows Ink settings tab.
- If you're left handed, you can also change that setting here.
- Under Pen Shortcuts, you can change click behavior (for instance if you wanted to open OneNote 2016 instead of the Windows Store version of OneNote.