WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Logging into Your Site
The following document will walk you through the steps required for logging into your WiscWeb project/website and will provide an overview of what you will see when you login.
In this document:
Connect to the Campus Network
Logging into WiscWeb requires that you are connected to a campus network. If on campus, you can connect to the campus network by using Eduroam, UWNet, or WiscVPN. If you are off campus, you will be required to use WiscVPN.
Once connected to the campus network, you may proceed with logging in using the steps below.
Logging into your site
- There are two ways to log into your site's dashboard.
- First, you can log into your site by navigating to https://wiscweb.wisc.edu and clicking the Login button in either the main menu or the utility links menu.
- Second, you can log directly into your dashboard by going to https://[yourURLhere.wisc.edu]/wp-admin/
- You will be prompted to login. Please authenticate using your NetID credentials and password.
- You will also need to authenticate using multi-factor authentication (also known as Duo).
- After logging in, you will have access to the WiscWeb Dashboard.
- If you logged in via WiscWeb instead of directly to your site, choose "My WiscWeb Sites" in the upper left corner of your screen and select the site that you wish to edit.
The Dashboard in WordPress is the main hub you'll use to administer and edit your site. The main body will show recent updates to your site, as well as general WordPress updates.
In addition to the main screen, there is a top menu and side menu that allow you to access various menus and content creation functions. The main dashboard area is a quick "heads up" display of other information.
- Top Menu: The Top Menu contains links to My Sites, where you can choose the site you want to edit (if you edit multiple sites). The other menu options contain shortcuts to many of the Side Menu functionality (described in detail below).
- Side Menu: The side menu contains all of the content creation options, as well site administration options. The following options are available for each.
- Content Creation: Posts, Events, Media, Forms, Pages, Documents Page, Faculty/Staff Members, wpDataTables. There are KB documents for all of these features.
- Site Administration: Comments, Appearance, Plugins, Users, Tools, Settings, Custom Fields. Many of the options are only available to site administrators.
- Dashboard: The dashboard area provides quick links to access the site Customizer, add additional pages, access your menus, and other shortcuts.
The KB documents below will walk you through the basic functionality you'll need to know to get started in WordPress.
- Please see the KB doc about Login Issues if you are having trouble with logging into WiscWeb.
- If you are logged in and viewing your site, and the editing bar does not appear at the top of the screen, try doing a hard refresh of your site (hold down the Shift key and click the refresh button).