Vice Chair Bruno Browning reported that he and Heather met with Mark Walters, Patrick Sheehan, and Don Schutt from the Office of Human Resources. They discussed cases regarding performance reviews consisting only of anonymous surveys. Patrick has also heard concerns about this and is actively looking at how to deal with this issue. The discipline of Teaching Assistants (TAs) was also discussed. UW-Madison is currently using the contract language regarding this and hopes to move this language into a policy. Patrick is working on this and hopes to have it completed in the spring.
Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels said professional development grants needed to be submitted by Friday, October 21. A total of 84 grants were submitted, which ties the largest number. Heather reported she gave a presentation on shared governance to the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory along with someone from the university staff. The CASI brown bag was held. The main purpose was to share the snapshots developed by the Secretary of the Academic Staff office as well as give time to CASI reps to share ideas and information. Lastly, Heather reported that she has heard anecdotally that some supervisors and academic staff in SMPH did not hear about the performance bonus fund until the deadline had passed for departments to submit individuals for consideration.
Summer Term Steering Committee-Deb Shapiro reported that a paper from this committee will be submitted to the Chancellor and Provost before the end of the semester.
SMPH CASI-Aaron Crandall said the CASI is looking to stagger terms. They also discussed the SMPH town hall meeting and looked at the snapshot regarding professional development grants.
Campus Planning Committee-Aaron Crandall reported that the committee looked at the list of capital projects submitted by the Board of Regents to the state for the biennial budget process. The list did not include the ROTC building. It did include renovations for a parking ramp for Vet Med, Greenhouses for CALS and steam tunnels. The schedule for the campus master plan is a bit behind.
• AppointmentMotion to appoint Deb Shapiro to the HLC Accreditation Advisory Team (Crandall). Seconded. Approved.
• UW System Consensual Relationship PolicyASEC directed Heather to ask the Provost whether the policy would be considered/covered under Human Resources. If not, ASEC will discuss the policy further next week and give suggestions.
• Open Letter to Wisconsin TaxpayersASEC agreed to have Kevin put the idea of letters to the editor in his chair report at the Assembly meeting and also bring it up again at the UW System Reps group.
• Resolution Regarding Pay PlanASEC changed some language in the resolution and will revisit the language next week including the therefore clause, which specifies the percentages being requested by the Assembly.
• November Assembly AgendaASEC removed the open letter from the agenda.
• Topics for Provost and Vice ChancellorVice Chancellor-Amazon Pickup PointProvost-Dean’s Reviews