Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 07-21-16Approved 8-11-16
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, July 21, 2016
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Bruno Browning; Jenny Dahlberg; Sarah Kuba; Heather McFadden; Kevin Niemi, Chair; Deb Shapiro
Guests: Jake Smith
The meeting was called to order at 2:03 p.m.
The minutes of July 7, 2016, were approved.
• Chair Kevin Niemi reported on a meeting with Mark Walters, Patrick Sheehan, and Don Schutt from the Office of Human Resources. There are a number of new and vacant positions being filled within OHR. The new online system for job applications called TREMS will be launched this fall. Regarding FLSA, there are approximately 700 postdoctoral positions that will be non-exempt. OHR is discussing how to handle these positions. The plan for the Titling and Total Compensation study is to have to the RFP released in August.
Kevin asked for volunteers of ASEC to meet to talk about data analysis of the academic staff worklife survey.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported that she has been asked to present at the Department Chairs orientation in late August and also at an AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges) on staff scientists in late September.
Heather D. reported that DCS is willing to offer free slots of DCS courses to academic staff this fall like last year. She and Jake will work with DCS and hope to have an announcement out to all academic staff in early fall.
Heather D. asked ASEC if they were interested in doing another food drive for the student food pantry on campus this fall and again in the spring. ASEC would like to continue to do this twice annually. 270 Bascom will also become a permanent drop off location for the food pantry.
The Ad Hoc Committee on Research Misconduct will be meeting again at the beginning of August. The appeal process for academic staff will likely be changed from the Assembly putting together a committee to hear the appeal to the Academic Staff Appeals Committee. The Appeals Committee will be able to add up to two members of the panel of five members, who have special knowledge in the particular research area.
Heather D. reported that Jake’s position has evolved into an exempt position so there will be a new job posting soon for the position. She is working on assembling a search and screen committee for the position.
Titling and Total Compensation Advisory Council Heather McFadden reported that the response rate for the feedback on the RFP was 57%. The survey was sent to members of the Advisory Council and Human Resources Directors on each campus.
• Resolution on Budget for Fall Assembly Meetings
Robert Newsom was unable to attend today’s meeting so the discussion on this item was moved to the next meeting.
• Assembly Engagement Report
ASEC decided to have the Assembly discussion on video streaming at November Assembly meeting and information about types of Assembly guests and timeline for guests at the December Assembly meeting.
• Academic Staff Member for Summer Term Steering Committee
ASEC discussed the offer of Division of Continuing Studies to have an ASEC member serve on the Summer Term Steering Committee. Motion to appoint Deb Shapiro to the Summer Term Steering Committee (Dahlberg). Seconded. Approved.
• Distinguished Prefix Language Change
ASEC reviewed minor changes to the Distinguished Prefix Policy. The changes will be sent to the Distinguished Prefix Committee for review and then to the Assembly for a vote.
• Appeals Committee Membership Language
ASEC reviewed language regarding human resources academic staff and the Academic Staff Appeals Committee. The language will be sent to the Nominating Committee.
• Topics for Provost
Academic staff worklife survey
Instructional academic staff titles for teaching academic staff
Update on SMPH salary adjustments
Meeting adjourned at 3:38 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff