University Committee Meeting Minutes 2013-09-09
approved September 16, 2013
September 9, 2013
Present: Bernard-Donals, Cook, Fair, Farrar Edwards, Meyerand, Petty
1. The meeting began at 1:00 p.m.
3. School of Education Dean Julie Underwood discussed the campus arts structure, upon invitation of the University Committee. Before doing so, Dean Underwood reiterated that the School of Education and Departments of Art and Dance unanimously support the formation of a College of the Arts. Dean Underwood also requested that the UC facilitate a campus update about the status of the College of the Arts.
Dean Underwood presented a possible model for an arts structure that would include an autonomous administrative council (for governance) and a semi-autonomous academic planning council. The administrative council would include non-academic units. The arts academic planning council would consist of academic units; academic matters would be considered by both the academic unitÃÂ¢Ã¢âÂ¬Ã¢âÂ¢s own school/college APC and the arts APC.
Individuals could become affiliates of the arts structure, with membership determined by the administrative council.
Dean Underwood also requested advice about the process for the proposed transfer of faculty from the Department of Theatre and Drama to the School of Education. The University Committee agreed to study whether this would best be achieved through departmental restructuring (FPP 5.02) or faculty transfers between departments (FPP 5.14).
4. The UC reminded Chancellor Blank that the chancellor typically presents a state of the university address at the October Faculty Senate meeting.
Chancellor Blank proposed that an individual be hired to manage administrative searches and conduct special projects when search duties are light. The chancellor proposed that this person jointly report to the University Committee and to either the chancellorÃÂ¢Ã¢âÂ¬Ã¢âÂ¢s or provostÃÂ¢Ã¢âÂ¬Ã¢âÂ¢s chief of staff.
The chancellor proposed that the spring commencement ceremonies be combined into one campus ceremony at Camp Randall Stadium, with more personal ceremonies hosted by schools, colleges, and departments, and that an individual be hired to coordinate such campus events.
5. Professor Ruth Litovsky provided an update on the Ad Hoc Diversity Plan Committee. She will provide an update at the October Faculty Senate meeting.
6. Motion by Cook, second by Petty to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Unanimous.
7. The committee reconvened in open session at 4:38 p.m.
8. The meeting adjourned 4:48 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Andrea Poehling, secretary of the faculty.