Transferring files with SecureFX.
SecureFX is one of the FTP (file transfer protocol) programs recommended by CAE because it uses Secure FTP (sftp). Other programs can be used for non-sensitive information but may be accessed by anyone.
- Step 1. Install SecureFX
- You can download a copy from the Campus Software Library, under the Utility category. You will need to enter an active UW NetID.
- Step 2. Start SecureFX
- The application will first ask you if you want to create a secure passphrase:
- Since we do not recommend saving your CAE password on SecureFX, there is no need to create a passphrase.
- Step 3. Configure SecureFX
Once SecureFX has started up, you'll see a configuration window pop up:
- To connect, give it the following information:
Check "Save session" if you want SecureFX to save the above information for next time.
- Protocol: SFTP
- Hostname: sftp.cae.wisc.edu
- Port: 22
- Username: Your CAE username
- Step 4. Connect to the servers
- Click connect to create the connection. At the next pop-up, click Accept & Save to remember CAE's host key. Enter your password. For security reasons, we do not recommend saving your password. Click "OK" to connect and you will see a screen like this:
- Step 5. Move your files
- You will see two main panels once connected: the left panel shows your local directories and the right panel shows the remote (CAE) directories. Each panel is split: the left side is the folder list and the right side is the standard file view. You can navigate directories normally, where the ".." directory is the parent directory in the hierarchy. To copy a file, simply navigate to the folder where it's located, drag it from one panel to the other, and it will be copied into the destination folder. This works for copying both from your local computer to your CAE drive and from your CAE drive to your local computer.