University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-11-10
approved November 17, 2014
November 10, 2014
Present: Broman, Edwards, Fair (chair), Meyerand, Petty, Wendt
1. Meeting called to order: 12:30 PM.
2. Announcements: Review of schedule for next several weeks.
3. Minutes of the meeting of November 3, 2014, approved.
4. Online course evaluations (Steve Cramer): Testing and evaluation services not able to offer online student evaluations this semester (paper continuing). New tool in place for this semester and next to cover those who did online course evaluations in the past. New system offers features not previously available: possible integration of assessments for accreditation and other needs, capacity to integrate with other online tools such as course management systems. Consensus that exploring this or similar system in future is useful.
5. Grant Petty updated UC on Board of Regents and faculty reps meetings.
Graduate Assistant appointments (Wendy Crone): Handouts (1) Graduate Assistant Stipend Comparisons (data)
and (2) Graduate Assistant appointments (power point).
Crone reviewed and explained documents and new policy that will be implemented next academic year. New method described in document will set minimum rate (rather than flat rate), with a 50% cap; appointment percentage will be tied to hours; no tax implications. Discussion. Still some issues to be worked out, but change will be cost neutral to central campus.
7. UW System update (Ray Cross) (joint participation of ASEC and CSEC): President Cross reviewed recent Board of Regents meeting and impact of election. Several questions and discussion. Cross explained discussions around shared governance and reiterated his strong support. Faculty workload is current focus of legislators. In response to questions from UC and others, Cross outlined current challenges and priorities, including importance of open and engaged communication with legislature, reconciling differing time frames and planning windows, economic issues, and role of university in state.
8. 2:10 PM: Broman departed.
9. Provost update (Sarah Mangelsdorf): Provost Mangelsdorf was present for part of President Cross’s discussion and followed up with UC on several points. She also discussed next steps for civility ad hoc committee in light of recently passed faculty legislation.
10. Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration update (Darrell Bazzell)
a. Bazzell provided update on budget discussions, potential cuts, and salary tools.
b. Bazzell provided background on VCFA’s Engagement, Inclusion, and Diversity (EID) program. Discussion around how this might fit with bottom-up review.
11. Discussion of how search and screen committees function and need to assert faculty role.
12. UC developed plan for gathering faculty workload examples.
13. Meeting adjourned at 3:23 PM.
Steven K. Smith, Secretary of the Faculty