University Committee Meeting Minutes 2015-01-05
approved January 12, 2015
January 5, 2015
Present: Broman, Edwards, Fair (chair), Meyerand, Wendt
1. Meeting called to order: 1:00 PM.
2. Minutes of the meeting of December 15, 2014, approved.
3. Fair updated the UC on hostile and intimidating behavior committee developments.
4. Fair updated the UC on developments related to Labor Licensing Advisory Committee.
5. GLBT committee update: Requested addition of 2nd classified staff member. Consensus approval. Discussion about making this ad hoc committee a standing committee. UC will consider this in context of broader diversity-related committees and even broader chapter 6 review. Need for subcommittee to look at chapter 6.
6. CDCC Structural Changes (Patrick Sims). Sims provided history of structure into which CDCC fits and evolution of UW’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Proposed changes to FPP 6.27. are to help pieces fit together better and eliminate discrepancies and inconsistencies.
a. UC asked whether changes should wait until other processes develop (such as the broader chapter 6 review above, the hiring of permanent CDO, etc.). While waiting for larger context to straighten out would make some sense, the current co-chair arrangement is unworkable and needs to be addressed.
b. UC endorsed the changes, which will be presented by Sims at next Faculty Senate.
7. Edwards moved and Meyerand 2nd to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Motion passed: 1:29 PM.
8. The UC considered and endorsed a nomination to the CDCC, which will proceed to the Committee on Committees for appointment.
9. The UC considered and unanimously approved two dual role waiver requests.
10. The UC considered and unanimously approved a leave of absence extension.
11. The UC considered a potential grievance. Consensus that CFRR is the proper venue for this. Provost participated in last part of this conversation. Consensus that appointment is in error and needs to be rectified immediately and the broader issue will be sent to the CFRR.
12. Broman moved and Wendt 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passed: 2:18 PM.
13. Provost update (Sarah Mangelsdorf). Due to potential grievance above, there was limited time for an update. Brief discussion of the following topics: changes to UWS chapters (to be taken up next week by UC), football bowl game, budget.
14. Chancellor update (Rebecca Blank)
a. Budget: There will be cuts, but how much is unclear (minimum of ~5-6%). Worst-case scenario is devastating; best-case will be the governor’s proposal. Flexibilities also unclear, but could require significant (HR Redesign-scale) reorganization.
b. Governance: Given cuts and flexibilities, Chapter 36 will have to be a line in the sand: Can’t possibly make massive cuts and undertake significant reorganization on top of difficulty that changes to governance would bring. Ample discussion.
c. Chancellor counsels that the negotiations have to be given space and time.
15. 2:43 PM: Meyerand left for system meeting.
16. Chancellor was asked about research funding and need for more WARF outreach. Ample discussion, which included revenue diversification/enhancement.
17. Chancellor informed the UC of spring semester events related to race and policing, led by Dean of Student Life and Chief Diversity Officer with others.
18. Meeting adjourned at 3:03 PM.