Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 01-07-16
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, January 7, 2015
67 Bascom HallMembers Present:
Bruno Browning; Aaron Crandall; Trish Iaccarino; Sarah Kuba; Heather Mc Fadden, Chair; Michael Moscicke; Robert Newsom; Kevin NiemiGuests:
Tom Durkin, Carl Hampton, Sarah Mangelsdorf, Jim Rogers, Patrick Sims, Jake Smith
The meeting was called to order at 2:02 p.m.
The minutes of December 10, 2015, and December 17, 2015, were approved.General Reports
- ASEC Chair Heather McFadden reported the Chancellor spoke to UW System on behalf of ASEC regarding the change to the Tenure Task Force draft document. The change was deemed acceptable by the task force. Once the next draft is received, ASEC will need to send out information regarding the change to all academic staff. UW-Madison submitted 3,000 responses to the strategic planning survey conducted by UW System. Because of this, UW System will be holding two listening sessions on the UW-Madison campus. ASEC agreed to promote the event and attend the listening sessions.
- Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported that Jake Smith created an email list for all standing committee members that will be used to send out various agendas and minutes rather than using the chairs list. She and Jake have developed a draft cover sheet that could be used for resolutions/motions in the Assembly. The Ad Hoc Committee for Assembly Engagement will discuss the sheet. Epic has endowed three faculty associate positions in the Department of Computer Sciences.
UW System Academic Staff Representatives-Kevin Niemi reported he will not serve on the committee for the Titling and Compensation study. The representative from UW Stevens Point will be nominated to serve.
Guest: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Provost
Provost Mangelsdorf reported that only students were notified about the mumps cases since there were only two cases reported.
The next draft of the documents created by the Tenure Task Force will be distributed in early January.
Guest: Patrick Sims, Chief Diversity Officer
For the first time, the Committee on Diversity and Campus Climate; Minority and Disadvantaged Coordinators, and the Equity and Diversity Committee met together with the idea of creating a statement that would hold the institution accountable for diversity. As a first step, the group looked at existing documents and started drafting language. This project connects with the campus climate survey and diversity inventory projects. The statement should speak to employees at all levels. He plans to bring a draft statement back to ASEC for input and plans to bring the document to the Academic Staff Assembly, the Faculty Senate, the University Staff Congress, and ASM.
- February Assembly Meeting Agenda
- ASEC looked at a draft agenda. Heather D. will add discussion on ASEC terms.
- ASPP Language Change-Personnel File Retention
- ASEC looked at the change. Bruno will check with PPPC about presenting this change to the Assembly.
- Report of Ad Hoc Committee on Selection of Committee Appointments/Nominations by ASEC
- Jim Rogers walked ASEC through the committee’s report. The report contains guiding principles and criteria. ASEC accepted the report. The committee is disbanded with the thanks of ASEC.
Motion to Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss appointment to Ad Hoc Committee on IRBs and nominations to the Nominating Committee. (Moscicke). Seconded. Approved.
Motion to convene in Open Session (Moscicke). Seconded. Approved.
Motion to appoint Maggie Townsend to the Ad Hoc Committee on IRBs (Crandall). Seconded. Approved.
Meeting adjourned at 4:15 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff