Remote Desktop Service - Requesting New Software
This document explains how to request new software for inclusion on the Remote Desktop Service.
Note: Changes to the Remote Desktop Service must be performed during regular maintenance windows and require change approval. Additionally, new software must be examined thoroughly to identify any potential security or licensing issues, compatibility with software already installed on Remote Desktop Service servers, ongoing maintenance tasks required to keep the new software running smoothly, and a host of other prerequisites. Performing this testing consumes a great deal of time, as we must ensure that the Remote Desktop Service environment remains clean and stable for our users. Please include these considerations when requesting software and plan for a turnaround time of 7-10 business days from the initial request.
Requesting New Software for the Remote Desktop Service
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com with the following details:
- Subject: Remote Desktop Service - New Software Request
- Software details: Name of software, vendor, and link to software download or purchase page
Is this standalone software, or does it integrate with something else?
Is the application with which this new software integrates already
- Business case: What is the business need for this software? Are there any alternatives to using this specific software?
- User base:
How many users does this software request cover? Are you requesting the
software for one person, an entire department, or several departments?
- DoIT Help Desk staff will create a WiscIT incident for the new software request and pass it to Remote Desktop Service Support
- Remote Desktop Service Support will perform vetting of the new software and, if no problems are found, create change management requests
- Remote Desktop Service Support will install and test the new software on the Remote Desktop Service environment during the approved change window
- Remote Desktop Service Support will communicate with the original requester and let them know that the software is available