Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 11-05-15Approved 11-19-15
2:00 – 3:20 p.m. Thursday, November 5, 2015
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Bruno Browning; Aaron Crandall; Sarah Kuba; Heather Mc Fadden, Chair; Michael Moscicke; Robert Newsom; Deb Shapiro
Guests: Sarah Mangelsdorf
The meeting was called to order at 2:01 p.m.
The minutes of October 29, 2015, were approved as written.
• ASEC Chair Heather McFadden reported the University Committee discussed summer session, IRB issues, made edits to the shared governance policy and heard that Exact Sciences will be staying in Research Park. The Faculty Senate passed a new tenure policy. The senate also voted to approve an AFT resolution regarding tenure, changes to the composition of the University Curriculum Committee, a resolution against the carry concealed bill, a resolution against fetal tissue research restrictions, and a resolution in support of shared governance at the University of Iowa. The Senate also discussed a draft post-tenure review policy.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported the Titling and Compensation Ad Hoc Committee will be meeting on Mondays, and Russell Dimond and Carol Van Hulle have been elected co-chairs.
Guest: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Provost
ASEC discussed morale and ways the university could help improve morale on campus. ASEC provided the Provost with several ideas including listening sessions and encouraging departments to be active in improving morale.
Liaison Reports-Campus Planning Committee-Aaron Crandall reported that the utility lines for Bascom Hill will need to be upgraded possibly in 2019.
• Ad Hoc FPP Chapter 6 Committee Report-Next Steps
ASEC asked Heather D. to send the report to Steve Smith and Beth Meyerand with an offer of ASEC committee members to meet with them.
• December Assembly Agenda
ASEC reviewed a draft agenda.
• Distinguished Prefix Review
ASEC was asked to review how the new distinguished prefix review guidelines were working 3-5 years after the passage of the guidelines in late 2011. ASEC reviewed the data of those holding the title between Jan 2010 and July 2015. They felt the guidelines are working and those currently holding the distinguished prefix come from a wider variety of titles and areas of the university.
• Concealed Carry Bill
ASEC asked Heather M. and Heather D. to draft a resolution in case this bill moves forward in the legislature.
• Next ASEC Meeting, November 19, 2015 – for decision
-December Assembly AgendaMeeting adjourned at 3:24 p.m.
-Shared Governance Policy
-Guests: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Provost; Michael Bernard-Donals, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff