Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 09-10-15
ASEC MinutesMembers Present:
2:00 – 3:35 p.m. Thursday, September 10, 2015
67 Bascom Hall
Bruno Browning; Aaron Crandall; Trish Iaccarino; Sarah Kuba; Heather Mc Fadden, Chair; Robert Newsom; Kevin NiemiGuest:
The meeting was called to order at 2:01 p.m.
The minutes of September 3, 2015, were approved.
• ASEC Chair Heather McFadden reported on issues at the University Committee meeting. There are concerns in regards to a proposed change in the mission of UW Extension that would allow them to be a degree-granting institution. Heather M. asked ASEC their thoughts about a shared governance policy that would be constructed by an ad hoc shared governance committee. The University Committee has formed a faculty committee to look at Chapter 6 in Faculty Policies and Procedures. The committee will issue a report in December. Daniel Einstein asked the University Committee if there should be a committee to consider issues regarding UW-Madison owned art.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported that she met with the Ombuds office recently to discuss academic staff issues. She also met with someone from the School of Business regarding the start of a CASI there. The Academic Staff Chats and Division of Continuing Studies courses announcements have been sent out. There has been progress with giving limited appointees with no academic staff backup academic staff governance rights. A query has been created to capture these employees. Heather D. will work on a letter to send to them prior to them being placed in districts. Lastly, Heather D. reported that ASEC members wishing to be recorded as an abstention should ask for a roll call vote.
CALS CASI: Bruno Browning reported he attended their first meeting.
UW System Academic Staff Reps: Their first meeting is next Friday. David J. Ward will be in attendance. Kevin Niemi is chairing this group for the year.Business
• October Assembly Agenda
No changes were made to the October Assembly Agenda.
• Topics for Darrell Bazzell
ASEC would like to hear from Darrell on the following topics: common system charge, shared governance budget committee, and new budget model numbers.
• University Curriculum Committee
All members of ASEC were in favor of adding academic staff to this committee. ASEC advocates for 3-4 positions. They ask that there be no restrictions placed on divisions they must from or types of roles they must be in.
• Next ASEC Meeting, September 24, 2015 – for decision
-October Assembly AgendaGuest: Michael Bernard-Donals, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff
-Category A Discussion
-Guests: Darrell Bazzell, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Adminstration; Carmen Hotvedt and Molly Zemke, University Health Services
Michael said he was very excited they are doing academic staff chats this year. The format will be a safe space for peer-to-peer discussions regarding various topics. The academic staff chats will typically feature a panel or someone doing a short presentation prior to the discussion. Participants are asked to bring problems and solutions to the chats.
The deans have received a memo that there will be some funded pay tools for faculty. The implementation memo still needs to come out. He reminded ASEC that this year’s funding will be a block grant so guidelines will be broader. They will do backend accounting to find out how much was spent on each program. The programs include high demand, market, post tenure and compression. The high demand and market tool will be open to faculty or staff.
Michael asked ASEC to tell him what type of pay tools would be helpful to academic staff. He would appreciate input on this.Convened in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss appointments to the Communications Committee and nomination to the Appeals Committee. Motion: Newsom. Seconded. Approved.
Motion to reconvene in open session (Iaccarino). Seconded. Approved.Business
• Motion to appoint Jan Klawitter and Jennifer Garrett to the Communications Committee and nominate Hanna Blazel to the Appeals Committee (Browning). Seconded. Approved.
Meeting adjourned at 3:52 p.m.Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff