Help Desk - Student Help Desk Agent Position Description
Help Desk - Support Specialist
Division of Information Technology (DoIT)
University of Wisconsin - Madison
To apply, please visit the Student Jobs Page and search for 'DoIT' to see available positions!
The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) Help Desk is looking for motivated and friendly students of any major. We are an organization managed largely by students that focuses on giving students the resources to be successful academically, professionally, and mentally. Working for DoIT, you can expect to learn new skills relating to communication, technology, and collaboration.
The Help Desk offers a welcoming and social work environment. Our employees work together to find solutions to best assist our customers. We provide all necessary training to complete required tasks—you do not need any prior technical experience. We are a team made up of many majors, backgrounds, and identities, and encourage all interested persons to apply.
- Provide customer service to users both on and off-campus via phone, email, and chat.
- Assist customers with common tools such as online learning software, email, and calendar applications.
- Collaborate with other DoIT staff to resolve customer inquiries and ensure quality support.
Note: no prior computer experience is necessary – we’ll teach you everything you need to know.
- Inquisitive attitude and a desire to learn new things.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Enthusiastic and patient person who can handle a variety of different situations and users.
- Flexible scheduling. The Help Desk is open 7am-11pm, 7 days a week, so we work around class schedules and accommodate other commitments students may have.
- A team of fellow college students who create a fun and engaging atmosphere. Meet like-minded peers to build a network for professional and academic collaboration.
- New interpersonal, technical, and organizational skills to impress post-graduation employers.
- A wide variety of professional development opportunities including candidate interviews, professional headshots, and resume & interview workshops.
- Leadership opportunities available after just a few months working with us. Write technical documentation for the university, develop web-based applications, dissect customer data, or supervise your peers in one of our many student leadership roles.
A starting pay for this position of $14.00. However, additional training opportunities are available for motivated students to develop at their own pace. Advancement at the Help Desk can be quick and comes with incremental pay increases. Our staff’s average hourly rate is $15.44 per hour.