Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 08-24-15Approved 9-3-15
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, August 27, 2015
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Bruno Browning; Aaron Crandall; Trish Iaccarino; Sarah Kuba; Heather Mc Fadden, Chair; Robert Newsom; Kevin Niemi
Guests: Patrick Sheehan, Jake Smith
The meeting was called to order at 2:02 p.m.
The minutes of August 20, 2015, were approved.
• ASEC Chair Heather McFadden reported she met with the Chancellor regarding the Vice Chancellor for University Relations Search and Screen Committee. She wanted to provide more information on the position and ask where ASEC was in the process. Heather M. also met with the other shared governance chairs. There will be a shared governance committee to look at FPP chapter 6. The plan is for changes recommended by this committee to go to the Senate in November. The UW-Madison committee on tenure will be presenting at the October Senate meeting. The chairs decided on four joint goals for the coming year: shared governance policy, Athletic Board, FPP Chapter 6 and HR Design. Kevin will be chairing most of next week’s meeting.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported that her office has received several complaints regarding the new internal recruitment process. She has been in touch with the Office of Human Resources regarding these issues. She participated in a teleconference with UW-Milwaukee last week regarding indefinite appointments and layoffs. It was a good discussion. It was suggested that there be a joint meeting between the two executive bodies. Brian Deith met with Heather D. and Jake regarding a new districting schema. The Districting and Representation Committee is working on this and hopes to finalize a proposal later this fall. Making a change like this will take a petition from 100 academic staff. She also reported that the Dean of the School of Business has expressed interest in forming a CASI.
• September Assembly Meeting and Resolution
ASEC reviewed the September agenda. Heather D. reported that the Report on 2014-15 activities will include all Assembly resolutions and reports. They also made minor changes to the draft resolution on fetal tissue research.
• UW System Tenure Task Force Letter
ASEC reviewed the letter that would be a joint request from UW-Madison and UW-Milwaukee academic staff executive committees to add academic staff representation to this UW System committee. It will be sent to UW-Milwaukee for their review. It will hopefully be finalized next week. There was a motion to approve the letter (Browning). Seconded. Approved.
• Fetal Tissue Research Letter
ASEC reviewed a letter to the editor from Anita Bhattacharyya. They have asked for this to be distributed to academic staff and university staff for signatures.
• Shared Governance Letter
ASEC reviewed the annual letter that is sent out regarding governance participation. It will be sent from the Chancellor, Provost and Vice Chancellor Bazzell regarding faculty, academic staff and classified staff governance.
Guest: Patrick Sheehan, Office of Human Resources
Patrick Sheehan distributed an operational areas guidance document. This guide is for human resources staff as well as employees to help them understand the concept of operational areas. Operational areas and their use in the layoff process is not new to academic staff, but is new for university staff. Operational areas are reviewed in depth at the time of a layoff or nonrenewal.
• Provost Topics
ASEC will email topics to Heather M.
• Shared Governance discussion
Heather M. reviewed the questions previously posted by Michael. There was a discussion regarding work coming out of the ad hoc committee on Chapter 6 committees and the difficulty of defining shared governance committees. The idea of governance being a point between advocacy and decision-making was brought up. ASEC would like to ask the Provost to reflect on her thoughts about governance following her first year here at UW-Madison.
• Next ASEC Meeting, September 3, 2015 – for decision
-September Assembly Agenda-for decisionConvened in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss appointments to Patrick Sims Kitchen Cabinet, Professional Development and Recognition Committee, and Personnel Policies and Procedures Committee. Motion: Niemi. Seconded. Approved.
-ASEC priorities discussion
-Guest: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Provost
Motion to reconvene in open session (Crandall). Seconded. Approved.
• Motion to appoint Jacob Rome to the Professional Development and Recognition Committee and Mark Seeger to the Personnel Policies and Procedures Committee (Newsom). Seconded. Approved.
• Motion to appoint Kevin Niemi to Patrick Sims’ Kitchen Cabinet (Crandall). Seconded. Approved.
Meeting adjourned at 4:29 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff