Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 06-11-15
ASEC MinutesMembers Present:
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, June 11, 2015
67 Bascom Hall
Marwa Bassiouni; Bruno Browning; Sarah Kuba; Heather McFadden, Chair; Michael Moscicke; Kevin Niemi; Robert Newsom; Deb ShapiroGuests:
The meeting was called to order at 2:02 p.m.
The minutes of May 28, 2015, were approved with a change.General Reports
• ASEC Chair Heather McFadden reported that she, Kevin and Heather D. met with the Mentoring Committee co-chairs yesterday. One of the co-chairs, Kristin, met with Don Schutt to discuss possible activities for the Mentoring Committee and make sure they complimented and didn’t overlap with other mentoring activities provided through the Onboarding program. They plan to offer approximately 4 professional development events each year. They primarily aim to serve employees who have been on campus 2-6 years. They are likely to run some kind of mentoring program for academic staff employees who do not currently have a community of practice or access to other mentoring programs. Heather Daniels will share the survey results with the Office of Human Resources. At this meeting, promoting the Division of Continuing Studies as a source for professional development for academic staff. ASEC needs to develop a charge for the ad hoc committee FPP Chapter 6 proposed changes. Heather D. will also ask PPPC for a member to join this committee.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported the SMART Goals Pilot workshop has been scheduled. There are approximately 15 instructional and research academic staff who will attend. She participated in a meeting with Jeanne Hendricks and members of the Office of Human Resources to discuss the changes in ASPP regarding the fixed-term terminal appointment type currently called Emeritus. Jeanne will be bringing recommendations back to PPPC for discussion. The meeting with academic staff members of search and screen committees was successful and provided a lot of information that can be used to give to future members. The Board of Regents have received the ASPP changes from 2013-14. Heather D. and Jake will work on updating a new version of ASPP to reflect the approved changes. Lastly, Heather D. has been in contact with all the Area Review Committees (ARC) regarding the situation of indefinite appointments. The Biological/Medical Sciences ARC will be meeting twice this month to review applications so they can be approved prior to June 30, 2015.Liaison Reports
Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Supervision Bruno Browning reported that the committee is still trying to meet and have been experiencing difficulty with connecting with the faculty members of the committee.Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss appointments to Access and Accommodation in Instruction Committee and Archives Committee as well as ASEC chair and vice chair. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)Reconvened in Open Session (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)Business
• Motion to appoint Daniel Einstein to the Archives Committee and Adam Halstead to the Access and Accommodation in Instruction Committee. Seconded. Approved.
• Motion to elect Heather McFadden as ASEC chair and Kevin Niemi as ASEC Vice Chair. Seconded. Approved.
• Special Assembly Meeting
The petition calling for this meeting from the Assembly Representatives had 43 signers. There was a motion to approve the Resolution on the UW System Omnibus Motion. Seconded. Approved. There was a motion to approve the agenda for the Special Assembly meeting. Seconded. Approved.
• Academic Staff Governance Planning Meeting
ASEC agreed to use SMART goals for constructing priorities at this year’s meeting. Secondly, ASEC agreed to provide more material up front to attendees. The exact number of meetings, time spent at the meetings, etc. will be discussed and decided at next week’s meeting.
• Search and Screen Committee Criteria
ASEC discussed the results from the priorities survey and how to incorporate those into the search and screen committee member selection process. Motion to charge an ad hoc committee to draft criteria/rubric for academic staff governance to use when appointing committees that would include members of ASEC, Nominating Committee, and Assembly Representatives/Alternates. Seconded. Approved.
• Next ASEC Meeting, June 18, 2015
-Academic Staff Governance Planning Meeting Discussion
-Charge for Ad Hoc Committee on Committee Selection Criteria
-Charge for Ad Hoc Committee on FPP Chapter 6 Changes
-Priorities Survey Results
-Guest: Jeff Russell, Dean of Continuing Studies (Summer Session Report)
Meeting adjourned at 4:00 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff