Windows 7, 8, 10, & Vista - Default Programs
The Default Programs feature in Windows 7, 8, and Vista allows you to set your default programs, file types, and autoplay settings.
Access the Default Program feature by going to Start | Default Programs.
Windows 8 and 10 users type "Default Programs" in the metro screen.
There are four options on the main Default Programs window:
Set your default programs
This menu allows you to choose your defaults by program.
- Browse to the program you want to make your default for a particular function (e.g. web browsing) and highlight it.
- Click on Set this program as default.
- That program will now be the default for the associated function. For example, if you want Firefox to be your default web browser, select Firefox and click on Set this program as default.
This menu also allows you to choose file types by program. If you want a particular file type to open up with a specific program:
- Browse through your list of programs and select that program.
- Click Choose defaults for this program.
- A list of file types associated with that program will appear. Put a check in the box next to the file type that you want associated with that program and click Save.
- For example, if you wanted .mp3 files to open with iTunes, select iTunes and click Choose defaults for this program. Scroll down to .mp3, place a check in the box next to it, and click Save.
Associate a file type or protocol with a program
This menu allows you to change defaults by file type.
- Scroll to the file type you want to change and highlight it.
- The default program will display in the upper right-hand corner of this window. If you want to change the default, click on Change program...
- Choose the program for the list and click OK.
Change AutoPlay settings
This menu allows you to change the AutoPlay settings for different media like CDs, DVDs, and pictures. Browse to the media you want to change, and choose the default program from the associated drop-down menu on the right.
Set program access and computer defaults
Allows you to store default settings and revert to them on the fly. You can choose between Microsoft, Non-Microsoft, and Custom defaults, and change between them by selecting one and clicking OK.