Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 04-09-15Approved 4-23-15
2:00 – 4:15 p.m. Thursday, April 9, 2015
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Bruno Browning, Trish Iaccarino; Sarah Kuba; Heather McFadden, Chair; Michael Moscicke; Kevin Niemi; Robert Newsom; Deb Shapiro
Guests: Michael Bernard-Donals, Marsha Mailick, Jake Smith, Mark Walters
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of April 2 were approved with changes.
• ASEC Chair Heather McFadden reported that the dates for the Dean of the Graduate School finalists have been sent. ASEC members should send Heather M. their availability. There is also an invitation from the Campus Master Plan group. ASEC requested that Heather D. write back and ask about the type of information they are seeking.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported that the Excellence Awards Reception was well received. At the reception, Heather D. learned about an award for undergraduate mentors. Heather D. offered to help advertise this to academic staff. On Monday, she should receive a quote for the committee database.
Guest: Michael Bernard-Donals, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff
Michael Bernard-Donals talked about the current pay tools. The Deans would like to have tools become more flexible and simpler. Michael is working on a block grant program that would encompass the tools for compression, equity and high demand. There would be guidelines about how to spend the funding and one start and end date for the entire grant program.
• April Assembly preparation
Michael, Kevin and Jenny have been confirmed to move three of the resolutions. Christopher Harrison will be asked to move the fourth one.
• May Assembly agenda
ASEC suggested inviting Kathi Kilgore to present at the Assembly. Possible resolutions could include Category A maxima, dedicated funding stream, and Chapter 36 changes.
• Annual Survey on Academic Staff Issues
ASEC reviewed a draft survey and made several changes.
• Next ASEC Meeting, April 23, 2015 – for decision
-May Assembly AgendaGuest: Marsha Mailick, Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education
-Guests: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Steve Swanson, Mark Walters
Marsha shared her goals for 2015-16 including graduate school structure and graduate student funding, industry funding, campus research infrastructure, Washington strategy and entrepreneurship.
The finalists for the Dean of the Graduate School position should be announced shortly. The new dean should be identified before the end of the semester. The finalists will give public presentations as well as participate in sessions with governance.
UW-Madison is falling behind in research funding, and industry funding is a way to fill the hole made by decreasing federal spending on research. At UW-Madison, the faculty or staff own their intellectual property. UW-Madison also has WARF. Both of these things make industrial contracting more difficult. Marsha will work on making it easier to have industrial contracts here.
In regards to the Washington strategy, the Washington office currently concentrates on Capitol Hill. The other part of the strategy is research funding. UW-Madison has not had a coordinated effort to work with funding agencies. This could be accomplished by either hiring someone or contracting with a firm. In addition, UW-Madison should better leverage faculty and staff traveling to DC.
Meeting adjourned at 4:32 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff