Professional Development and Recognition Committee Minutes 10-10-14PDRC Meeting Minutes
Friday, October 10, 2014
9:00 - 10:00 am
Members Present: Jeff Armstrong, Nick Ewoldt, Jay Ford, Chris Lupton, Stephanie Kutz, Elisabeth McInnis Foster, Amy Hawley, Alison Rice
The meeting was called to order at 9:03 am.
Automatic consent business
- Minutes for September 2014 were approved without dissent.
Standing subcommittee reports
- PD Grants: Amy/Stephanie J.
• Applications due October 17, November 7 Deans approval, November 14 Academic Staff Office Review
• Application numbers as of 10/10/2014@9:30am = 50
• Communication plan ideas discussed:
o Inside UW (goal for spring grants)
o University calendar (Chris assist?)
o Secretary's office send follow-up email regarding deadlines (goal for spring)
• Amy updated on brown-bags:
o ~30 at Union South event
o ~25 at HSLC event
o More attendance than last time
• Amy will send emails to PDRC:
o Completed sign-up sheet
o Possible dates for meeting to make award decisions
- Awards: Elisabeth/Jeff B.
• John and Jeff B. will take on responsibilities upon Elizabeth's leave
• No system awards this year
• Uncertain about the humanities award
• Heather Daniels was sent communication regarding questions from PDRC on how many awards are out there
• Elizabeth will send via email to PDRC:
o Completed sign-up sheet (fall and spring)
o Award and review timeline after Heather Daniels approves
- Exec Ed Grants: Jay/Alison
• Jay placed relevant documents in BOX - please review
• Jay emailed business school contact regarding the Exec. Ed. Grants (funds to attend classes)
• March-April is timeline for these
• History: Jay and Ralph reviewed them and met to decide: ~20 to review
• Recommendation: report statistics back to business school; idea to assist in asking for more awards, etc.
- Working document on conflicts of interest when reviewing grants and awards
• This will remain a working document, not formal policy
• In addition to individual conflicts that may arise, chairs will review names of applicants and cross check for larger conflicts (e.g. past PDRC members)
• Limit communication to persons directly involved, not entire (sub)committee
- Award for Excellence in Research in the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
• Jeff A. emailed Heather Daniels to clarify that PDRC does not have fundraising expertise, provided name of UW Foundation contact from Danielle to Heather
• Discussion of pros and cons of this award: not a lot of funding available for research in social sciences and humanities, so staff need support and recognition; fewer academic staff eligible to receive this award than in biomedical and physical sciences, especially since instructional staff are currently prohibited from performing research
• Decision: obtain statistics regarding employee categories and numbers of academic staff from various departments/schools across full range of academic staff titles to create a larger "landscape picture of academic staff." From those data, discuss moving forward. Alison will work on building framework to move forward (check with dean of humanities and school of education dean)
- Academic Staff governance priorities for 2014-2015
• Ad hoc subcommittee on funding professional development grants
o Stephanie K. will chair subcommittee (Stephanie K, Chris and Curtis)
o Stephanie K. will check on UW foundation specific funding list
o Chris & Curtis: website timeline is January 2015 to show progress
o Heather Daniels chairs the academic staff communication committee for now
• P-file documentation of professional development
o Jeff A. attended a performance management HR system meeting, raised this issue.
• OHRD's existing opportunities - TABLED
- November meeting location
• Agreed to host meeting on western end of campus since a number of committee members have offices there. Amy will book a room at HSLC.
Meeting was adjourned at 10:03 am.