Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 08-28-14Approved 9-4-14
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, August 28, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Marwa Bassiouni; Bruno Browning; Denny Hackel; Trish Iaccarino; Sarah Kuba; Heather McFadden, Chair; Michael Moscicke; Robert Newsom; Kevin Niemi, Vice-Chair
Guests: Jenny Dahlberg, Bob Lavigna, Marsha Mailick, Sarah Mangelsdorf, Jake Smith
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of August 21, 2014, were approved without corrections.
Guest: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Provost
Provost Mangelsdorf stated that she will appoint at least two academic staff members to the Vice Provost for Diversity and Climate Search and Screen Committee. She would appreciate more than two nominations so they can put together a more diverse committee.
A budget cutting exercise was sent out to Deans and Directors to cut 2%, 4%, and 6%. If the state does not replace the base budget funding that was cut in the last biennium, there will need to be budget cuts.
The campus will hire a new compliance position. The compliance officer will know all of the compliance areas, who monitors which areas, and what is happening in each area.
There has been discussion around making sure that spring commencement happens after exams are over. This will require either moving commencement or moving the start of classes.
Guests: Bob Lavigna, Director of Human Resources
Bob Lavigna discussed the proposed structure for the new Human Resources office. He emphasized that the relationship between this office and the governance groups is very important. The office is moving to a structure that is organized by function. Mark Walters will be the Senior Director in the office. With the new HR system, there will be new areas that will need to be managed that are not currently managed. These new areas include comparable pay data for academic staff positions.
• Chair Heather McFadden talked about the first meeting of the governance groups regarding a shared governance letter from the Chancellor. The group discussed a link to shared governance on the home page. Plans are for the letter to be sent around September 15.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported that her office has been busy preparing for the new year. The updated Handbooks will be available for the first Assembly meeting. They are also in the process of notifying all districts of their rep and alt. She also mentioned that there has been progress on a new system for attendance. Gene Masters has programmed something that will work with the existing Assembly data. Heather D. hopes to implement the new system at the October meeting.
• HR Design – Denny Hackel distributed draft consequences for non-compliance for the Performance Management policy. Supervisors or managers who do not complete their activities would not be eligible for any pay adjustments based on performance or pay plans. ASEC expressed interest in discussing this policy at a future meeting.
• September Assembly Agenda
Motion to adopt the agenda. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
• Shared Governance Discussion
ASEC discussed an article regarding shared governance and what it means in the context of shared governance here at UW-Madison.
• Next ASEC Meeting, September 4, 2014 – for decision
- Assembly Meetings ReviewGuest: Marsha Mailick, Incoming Interim Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education
- Policy on Hostile and Intimidating Behavior
- Guests: Provost Sarah Mangelsdorf, Michael Bernard-Donals, Steve Cramer and Bruce Maas
Marsha Mailick briefed ASEC on the history of the changes within the Graduate School. The result is that the Graduate School will have its own staff and budget, but will have a linked leadership structure. The leadership structure has been worked out and was shared with campus in Inside UW this week. Shared functions such as IT, HR, etc. will reside with the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education. There will be 25 FTEs within the Graduate School. There will be meetings that span the entire group, VCRGE and Graduate School.
Convened in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations for the Vice Provost for Diversity and Climate search-and-screen committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Reconvened in Open Session (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 4:31 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff