Kaltura - How to Upload Files to Mediaspace (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison instructors, staff, and students can upload most common media formats to Kaltura MediaSpace for work involving teaching and learning at UW-Madison. This document describes how to upload media files to Kaltura Mediaspace.
- Launch Chrome or Firefox, go to Kaltura MediaSpace, and login: mediaspace.wisc.edu. If you need more information on how to log in to MediaSpace please see Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison) .
- Click on the Add New Button, and select Media Upload:
- Click the Choose a file to upload button:
- Navigate to and select the file you want to upload to Kaltura MediaSpace. A common video format to upload to Kaltura is an MP4 video file.
- While the file is uploading, fill out any pertinent information. If you are uploading copyrighted footage for education purposes, make sure that you have the video set to 'private', this prevents any external parties from viewing the video. Generally we recommend setting the publishing setting to Unlisted as this will more easily let you use the video where you want outside of Kaltura MediaSpace. Here's some more information on the three publshing settings:
Private - makes the video only viewable by you; sharing the link to the video requires a login with your NetID and password to view.
Unlisted - any user with the URL can view the video
Public - Searchable and viewable on the main Mediaspace site.
(click for full size image)
- Click Save.
After a video is uploaded, it is converted for optimal playback. You cannot preview or publish a video during conversion. You can edit media information during conversion and while waiting for it to convert. Uploaded Media can be found under the My Media button on the title bar. After you've uploaded your media you may want to review the following documents: