Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 07-10-14
ASEC MinutesMembers Present:
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, July 10, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Marwa Bassiouni; Bruno Browning; Trish Iaccarino; Sarah Kuba; Heather McFadden, Chair; Michael Moscicke; Robert Newsom; Kevin Niemi, Vice-ChairGuests:
Jake Smith, Ed Van Gemert
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of June 26, 2014 were approved.Guest: Ed Van Gemert, Vice Provost for Libraries
Ed Van Gemert introduced himself to ASEC and discussed changes he has made to the leadership structure in the library. He has also worked on a strategic plan and is working on implementing several initiatives including library facilities, preservation of collections as they become digital and fundraising. He also stated that he has recently implemented a new process for giving indefinite appointments with more rigorous criteria. General Reports
• ASEC Chair Heather McFadden reported that a small subcommittee is working on faculty legislation to address procedures for handling cases of bullying. She met with the new Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff, Michael Bernard-Donals. Michael will be meeting with ASEC regularly. He will present the pay portfolio at the Chair’s Orientation at the end of August. Heather M. also learned about changes to appointments to the Labor Codes Licensing Committee. An official memo will be distributed next week to the shared governance groups. Ray Cross met with the University Committee on Monday and discussed HR Design, shared governance and the biennial budget.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported that the new Secretary of the Faculty, Steve Smith, began his tenure on Monday. Barb Gerloff met with the co-chairs of the Personnel Policies and Procedures Committee (PPPC) regarding changes to ASPP in regards to appeals last week.Business
• Liaison assignments
ASEC made initial liaison assignments.
• Shared governance letter
ASEC will consider changes to this letter at its next regular meeting.
• Retreat planning/survey results
A copy of the previous year’s agenda was distributed for discussion. The results of the survey will be available at the July 31st meeting.
• Limited appointments participation in governance
ASEC will continue its discussion at the next regular meeting.
• Assembly communications
This item will be considered at its next regular meeting.
• Next ASEC Meeting, July 17, 2014
- Professional Development Presentations: Heather Daniels, Brian VaughanConvened in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to appoint members to the Information Technology Committee and University Bookstore Board (Moved. Seconded. Approved)
Motion to appoint Robin Kurtz to the University Bookstore Board. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)Reconvened in Open Session (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 4:32 p.m. Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff