Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 05-01-14Approved 5-8-14
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, May 1, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Marwa Bassiouni; Denny Hackel; Trish Iaccarino, Jim Maynard; Heather McFadden, Chair; Robert Newsom; Jeff Shokler
Guests: Jenny Dahlberg, Bob Lavigna, Andrew Lokuta, Steve Lund, Michael Moscicke, Angie Rosas, Steve Stern, Laura Van Toll, Mark Walters
The meeting was called to order at 2:01 p.m.
The minutes of April 24, 2014 were approved with a correction.
Assembly Standing Committee Chair Reports:
• Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee Co-Chair Jenny Dahlberg reported on an issue regarding titles that CEBC is working through on the survey. Jenny can send out a link for ASEC to try the survey.
• Chair Heather McFadden reported on the VCR/DGS recommendations. She has attended the University Committee meetings in relation to this subject. The changes to the Diversity Framework mentioned last week have been made. A letter from ASM regarding the diversity plan was distributed. Heather M. emailed Bob Lavigna and Steve Lund about Assembly document #490 and the passing of HR Design by the Joint Committee on Employment Relations (JCOER). She is working with the Secretary’s office to put together a handbook with introductory materials for new and continuing ASEC members.
• Secretary Heather Daniels reported she is working on district representatives for the coming year. The special election for a replacement ASEC member is going well. She hired Jake Smith for the vacant position in the office. He will begin next week. Lastly, the professional development grants are out for review. The process was greatly improved over the fall semester.
ASEC will need to fill liaison roles for the mentoring committee in the coming year as well as appoint a member from ASEC to the University Academic Planning Council (UAPC) beginning July 1. There is also an opening on the Educational Innovation Advisory Committee that needs to be filled.
Guest: Steve Stern, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff
Steve has seen the pay portfolio for academic staff. He encouraged ASEC to consider avenues to make this available to campus. In addition to areas already being considered, this could include the leadership summer for new chairs in August.
Steve reported on the University’s dual-career program. The number of requests for assistance from this program has doubled in the past five to six years. It is unsustainable as currently structured.
Steve also reported on the faculty diversity initiative. This program has been very successful providing small amounts of funding to bring an increased pool of finalists to campus and supplement the startup package. He suggested ASEC begin to think about whether some of the faculty best practices could be adapted to fit academic staff searches.
• ASEC reviewed the resolution for the Professor of Practice. The resolution was moved for acceptance by ASEC. Seconded. Approved.
• ASEC reviewed the resolution for the Ad Hoc Diversity Committee Framework. The resolution was moved for acceptance by ASEC. Seconded. Approved.
• ASEC review the May Assembly Agenda. A motion to approve the agenda was made. Seconded. Approved.
• ASEC looked at changes made to the campus policy for Performance Management. A motion was made to recommend that HR Design uses the original language approved by the Assembly. Seconded. Approved.
• Next ASEC Meeting, May 8, 2014
-May Assembly PreparationConvene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss appointments for Ad Hoc Committee on Bridge Funding, Labor Codes Licensing Compliance Committee, Committee on Diversity and Campus Climate, and nominations for the Athletic Board. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
-ASEC-CASI Meeting Planning
-ASEC-Shared Governance Committee Meeting Planning
-Guest: Provost, John Lucas, Alice Gustafson
Motion to apppoint Katherine Anderson and Jason Lee to the Labor Codes Licensing Compliance Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.).
Motion to appoint Sir Williams to the Committee on Diversity and Campus Climate for an appointment starting July 1, 2014 (Moved. Seconded. Approved.).
Motion to nominate Gretchen Viney for the Athletic Board for an appointment starting July 1, 2014 (Moved. Seconded. Approved.).
Motion to appoint Toni Ziegler as the chair of the Ad Hoc Committee on Bridge Funding (Moved. Seconded. Approved.).
Reconvened in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 4:38 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff