Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 04-24-14
ASEC MinutesMembers Present:
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, April 24, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Marwa Bassiouni; Denny Hackel; Jim Maynard; Heather McFadden, Chair; Kevin Niemi, Vice Chair; Robert Newsom; Jeff ShoklerGuests:
Patrick Kass, Andrew Lokuta, Michael Moscicke, Casey Newman, Noel Radomski
The meeting was called to order at 2:02 p.m.
The minutes of April 10, 2014 were approved with a correction.Reports:
• Chair Heather McFadden reported names for the Athletic Board would be coming to ASEC next week for consideration. Heather M., Jeff, and Heather D met with Steve Lund and Bob Lavigna about performance management. There will be a new draft available for ASEC next week. The University Committee (UC) reviewed the performance management and onboarding policies and didn’t see any problems. There will be a joint UC/ASEC meeting on May 19th. Potential agenda items could include supervisor evaluation, new CCF exercise, honorific teaching professor title and professor of practice as well as onboarding for the new Provost. Heather reported that the Ad Hoc Faculty Committee on Civility in the Academic Workplace has been dissolved. The UC and ASEC will meet over the summer to develop a process to report bullying behavior. Associated Students of Madison (ASM) did not approve the diversity framework. Heather M. has sent in some friendly updates to correct some inaccuracies in the framework.
• Secretary Heather Daniels reported she has completed all the interviews for the position in her office and hopes to make an offer this week. She reported the ballot for the vacant ASEC seat has been distributed. The shared governance groups are planning to create a new listserv that includes the chairs/vice chairs for each group as well as the Secretaries. This should help groups reach all the appropriate shared governance contacts with only one email address. Heather D. is working on updating district representation for 2014-15.Liaison Reports:
Kevin Niemi reported the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning search and screen committee will be conducting interviews.
Jeff Shokler reported the Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff search and screen has nearly completed their interviews. He also reported on the University Academic Planning Committee (UAPC) meeting; the proposal to make Biocore a formal honors program was approved.Guest: Provost Paul DeLuca
Provost DeLuca commented on the Academic Staff Excellence awards event. He is working on the changes for the Academic Staff Appeals Committee and Committee on Faculty Rights and Responsibilities regarding protecting HIPPA information during the appeals process. He hopes to finish up the recommendations by July. Any changes to FPP or ASPP will need to be approved by the Assembly and Senate next fall.
There will be public sessions for meeting the finalist candidates for the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning and Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff. ASEC should contact Eden about scheduling time at a Dean’s Council meeting for the pay tools portfolio.Business
• ASEC reviewed the agenda for the May Assembly meeting.
• ASEC made some modifications to this resolution. Heather M. talked with the University Committee about the possibility of a new honorific Professor title for teaching. There was some interest, but nothing will happen until a new University Committee is in place.
• Heather M. agreed to distribute the new Diversity Framework document to the Assembly Representatives once some changes have been made. The report will also be part of the Assembly materials. ASEC worked on drafting possible resolution language.
• ASEC discussed revisions to the Academic Staff Issues Survey. The timing will be important as to not conflict with the CEBC survey.
• Next ASEC Meeting, May 1, 2014
-May Assembly Agenda-for approval
-Diversity Framework Resolution
-HR Design Resolution
-Guest: Provost, Steve Stern
Guests: Patrick Kass and Casey Newman
Patrick presented information regarding the parking lots and campus-wide plan to transition into two lot levels. The bus pass program is doing well, and negotiations for a new contract with Metro will begin this summer. The park and ride lots are also doing well for a first year. There will be construction on the hospital ramp beginning in late summer. This will add 800 spaces. Business
• Noel Radomski asked a few questions regarding Faculty Policies and Procedures (FPP) and Academic Staff Policies and Procedures (ASPP). The discussion centered around the phrase “in conjunction with” and the meaning of that phrase within both ASPP and FPP. Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations for Ad Hoc Committee on Bridge Funding. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to approve all volunteers for service on the Ad Hoc Committee on Bridge Funding (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)Reconvened in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 4:36 p.m. Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff