Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 04-10-14
ASEC MinutesMembers Present:
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, April 10, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Denny Hackel, Trish Iaccarino; Kevin Niemi, Vice Chair; Robert Newsom; Jeff ShoklerGuests:
David Gardner, Sarah Niebart, Noel Radomski, Noah Schneider
The meeting was called to order at 2:02 p.m.
The minutes of April 3, 2014 were approved as distributed.Reports:
• Vice Chair Kevin Niemi reported that the Athletic Board interviews were taking place this week. The Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning search is behind the Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff search. They are still collecting applications.
• Secretary Heather Daniels reported on the progress on voting. She also gave ASEC a handout about constructive and destructive group behaviors that she received at a professional development class she is taking. Sharon Colby has been offered a full-time position on campus and will be leaving the office near the end of the month. Heather D. also sent out a poll to schedule a CASI/ASEC lunch.Liaison Reports:
Kevin Niemi agreed to be the liaison for the Nominating Committee. ASEC decided not to appoint liaisons for the CALS and SOHE CASIs given the late date.Business
• ASEC reviewed the agenda for the May Assembly meeting and brainstormed topics for the Chancellor to discuss during her visit.
• ASEC discussed the feedback that had been compiled and concurred with it. ASEC asked Heather M to submit feedback on the draft Diversity Framework regarding academic staff and governance on behalf of ASEC.
• ASEC explored ways to connect with academic staff representatives serving on shared governance committees. It was decided that ASEC would hold a spring lunch with some of these representatives similar to what is done with the CASI representatives.
• Next ASEC Meeting, April 24, 2014
-May Assembly Agenda
-Diversity Framework Resolution
-Guest: ProvostGuests: David Gardner, Sarah Niebart, Noah Schneider
Noah, David and Sarah presented a proposal for a new shared governance committee on Civic Engagement. ASEC made several suggestions for changes to the charge of this committee. ASEC was generally supportive of the proposal with some changes.
The students also talked about the Greek Recruitment Advisory Committee and felt that this committee was formed in violation of State Statutes Chapter 36. There was a discussion about operational committees vs shared governance committees. The next steps for the students is to meet with Legal Services and send a letter to the Chancellor. This matter could be appealed to the Board of Regents.Business
• Noel Radomski presented a draft resolution on the VCR/DGS report. ASEC suggested that Noel seek co-sponsors on the resolution from the Assembly.
Meeting adjourned at 4:49 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff