Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 03-27-14
ASEC MinutesMembers Present:
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, March 27, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Marwa Bassiouni; Trish Iaccarino; Heather McFadden, Chair; Kevin Niemi, Vice Chair; Robert Newsom; Jeff Shokler; Erin SilvaGuests:
Rebecca Blank, Jason Jankoski, Steve Lund, Noel Radomski, Bill Tishler
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of March 20, 2014 were approved as distributed.Guest: Rebecca Blank, Chancellor
Chancellor Blank began with an update on Classified Research. The University Committee has appointed an ad hoc committee on this topic. Currently there is no campus policy on classified research. The committee will report back on what should be included in a campus policy.
ASEC shared a draft of the academic staff pay tool portfolio. She supported wide distributed and encouraged ASEC to move forward with this document.
Chancellor Blank also discussed several other items including relations with UW System and the Legislature including the new Director of External Relations at UW System, Budget Model Development Committee, and HR Design.Reports:
• Chair Heather McFadden reported that the ad hoc campus-wide bullying committee met this week. She received a copy of the handbook “Preventing and Eradicating Bullying.” Several members of the committee believe this handbook should be brought to governance and are trying to encourage this to happen. Competency based training around bullying will be available this fall.
The faculty committee on bullying has been asked to develop a policy that would be included in faculty legislation. There are still complaints about the alcohol policy as a problem for large departments. The University Committee (UC) is working on a memo on multiple roles. The UC is also discussing changes to the Campus Diversity and Climate Committee (CDCC) based on recommendations from the CDCC.
• Secretary Heather Daniels reported that she has received a test website from Chatman Designs to review. She also encouraged ASEC to vote in the ongoing elections. She asked if she should create a new listserv for academic staff serving on shared governance committees. Right now these academic staff do not receive information on ASEC or Assembly meetings. ASEC was in favor of creating a new listserv. Lastly, she reported on a project that she plans to undertake sometime this summer or next fall. The idea would be to pull together a list of Assembly documents where policies were passed that do not reside in ASPP or other documentation to provide something similar for academic staff to the faculty legislation. She also talked about attending the Provost candidate talks this week.Liaison Reports:
Marwa Bassiouni reported on the Campus Planning Committee meeting. There were three projects approved to be sent to the Board of Regents. They include purchase of the Lucky Building space that McBurney and Admissions currently occupy as well as two Recreational Sports projects.Guest: Debbie Weber
Debbie Weber presented a new charge for the Council of Non-Represented Classified Staff (CNCS) which will become the Campus Supervisor Network (CSN). CSN would an informal group that could share problems and solutions, listen to speakers, and generally become a support network or community of practice for supervisors. She asked if ASEC could put a call out to academic staff to be involved on the planning committee. ASEC agreed to have the Secretary’s office do this.Business
• ASEC discussed the motions that would be brought forward at the April Assembly meeting.
• ASEC talked about changes to the Academic Staff Issues Survey. This year, there will also be a question about the feasibility of accomplishing a priority. Priorities that should be included in the survey should be sent to Robert. He will send out a draft of the survey in MS Word for editing.
• Next ASEC Meeting, April 3, 2014
-April Assembly Agenda-for vote
-Changes to ASPP
-Guests: Provost, Ad Hoc Diversity Committee
Meeting adjourned at 4:10 p.m. Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff