Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 02-06-14
Revision approved 3-20-14
ASEC MinutesMembers Present:
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, February 6, 2014
54 Bascom Hall
Marwa Bassiouni, Denny Hackel, Trish Iaccarino, Heather McFadden, Chair, Robert Newsom, Erin SilvaGuests:
John Horn, Petra Schroeder, David Gardner
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of January 30, 2014 were approved.Guest: John Horn, Division of Recreational Sports
John discussed facilities challenges for the division. Most of the facilities were built when enrollment at UW-Madison was 25,000. In addition, these facilities have outlived their life span. Regardless of what is done, there is approximately $30-40 million needed in infrastructure repairs. The division has worked with students of all levels in the planning process for facility improvements to SERF, Natatorium and two playing fields. There will be a student referendum from March 3-5 for students to pay for part of the total cost of $223 million. Student fees will not increase until the facilities open. Faculty and staff fees to use the facilities would also increase by the same amount, as has been the policy. The earliest opening of a facility is 2019.Assembly Standing Committee Chair Report:
Compensation and Economic Benefits: Jenny Dahlberg provided ASEC with a draft survey about promotional titles. Feedback can be sent to Heather D. She will compile and send it to Jenny.Reports:
• Chair Heather McFadden shared documents about the bullying discussion that is being held in the committee charged with reviewing Faculty Policies and Procedures for this issue. She also will share a document about a new committee that ASM would like to form. Carole Kolb has been hired as the campus search coordinator.
• Secretary Heather Daniels reported that twelve applications have been received for the Distinguished Prefix. A new LTE has started in the office and the position for a permanent replacement has been approved and posted.Guests: Petra Schroeder, Graduate School
Petra reported on the work of the Vice Chancellor for Research/Dean of Graduate School working group. A first draft will be sent to the University Committee today, February 6, 2014. On February 15, the working draft will be sent to governance groups and others. There will be two listening sessions held. One is March 4 from 2-3 in Microbial Sciences and the other is on March 5 from 11-12 in Great Hall at Memorial Union. The group is talking about other means of gathering feedback. March 15 is the deadline for the final report and it will be presented at the April Faculty Senate meeting.Business
• Heather M. would like to send out the Survey on Academic Staff Issues in April. She asked Robert and Jim to make changes to the survey before then if they were still interested in doing so.
• Heather D. reported that her office was working on compiling historical information on the promotional report. Once this is done, she will give this to ASEC.
• ASEC took a preliminary look at the agenda for the March Assembly meeting. Heather D will ask if Darrell Bazzell can chair the meeting.
• Next ASEC Meeting, February 20, 2014
-March Assembly AgendaConvene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations for the Nominating Committee, Budget Modeling Committee (Phase 2) and Search and Screen Committee for the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
-Guests: Provost, Mentoring Committee, Working Group on VCR/Grad Dean
Motion to add Rebecca Beebe to the Nominating Committee Slate (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to nominate Emily Tarter for the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management Search and Screen Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
to nominate Ken Mount, Anne Gunther, Tony Grieg and Noel Radomski for the
second Budget Model Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Reconvened in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m.Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff