Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 02-19-15Approved 2-26-15
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, February 19, 2015
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Bruno Browning, Trish Iaccarino; Sarah Kuba; Heather McFadden, Chair; Michael Moscicke; Kevin Niemi; Deb Shapiro
Guests: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Noel Radomski, Jake Smith, Bill Tishler
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of February 5 were approved without changes.
Guest: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Provost
Provost Mangelsdorf discussed job security in light of the proposed state budget. She indicated the need for more information on rolling horizons as they seem to be a unique feature of UW. She reported that the UW-Madison Strategic Plan has gone to press and should be back shortly. The new International Travel Policy should be sent out soon. It will encourage faculty and staff to notify UW-Madison when traveling abroad for work. It also contains information about students traveling abroad. Letters to deans/directors regarding their proposed budget cuts will be sent next week. These letters are just a starting point in the budget process.
Finalist visits are set for some of the searches. The Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education finalists will visit campus March 17-19. The Vice Provost for Enrollment Management finalists will be on campus March 25-27, and the Vice Provost for Diversity and Climate finalists will be here April 13-15 and 17. The Dean of the Graduate School and Dean of the School of Education finalists will be on campus in early May.
• ASEC Chair Heather Mc Fadden reviewed the University Committee (UC) meeting. Mark Covaleski, Chair of the Athletic Board, met with the UC for an ongoing discussion about the hiring process of coaches. There was discussion regarding amendments to Faculty Document 2191. The UC also discussed the possibility of forming an ad hoc budget committee separate from the UAPC budget committee that hasn’t met in many years. The UC would charge this committee, and it could include some members of the second budget model committee. Darrell Bazzell said that the plan for 2015-16 is to expose 5% of the GPR budget to the new budget model. The second budget model committee would be used to monitor this process.
Heather M. reported sending out a message to CASIs asking them to make sure they are involved in their school/college/division budget discussions. Lastly, she mentioned that March 5 is the Board of Regents meeting where possible effects of the budget would be discussed. She asked to ASEC to decide whether the ASEC meeting that day should be cancelled.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported she sent out the registration information for this year’s Academic Staff Institute on March 18. She met with Angie Rosas from Academic Personnel Office regarding use of the plain language layoff document. Angie has agreed to include this document as an attachment to layoff letters and as part of the Referral Priority Program materials. She reported that Heather M. and she had put together a draft of a Category A factsheet in response to the caller on the Joy Cardin show regarding Category A staff. Lastly, Heather D. reminded ASEC to not discuss issues on the email list as it constitutes a meeting and is a violation of the open meetings law.
• March Assembly Agenda
ASEC reviewed a revised agenda. The biggest change was delaying Chancellor Blank from the March Assembly meeting to the May meeting. ASEC also worked on revising several resolutions for the March Assembly meeting on the topics of budget cuts, public authority, shared governance and the 30th anniversary of shared governance.
• CASI letter
ASEC reviewed a draft letter prepared by Heather M. that would be sent to schools/colleges/divisions without CASIs. There was one minor change made to the letter. Heather M. will contact Provost Mangelsdorf and Vice Chancellor Bazzell about distributing it.
• Future Topics for Provost
Backup appointments and job security
• Next ASEC Meeting, February 26, 2015 – for decision
- March Assembly AgendaConvene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations to the Nominating Committee and appointment to the Communications Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
- Guests: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Marsha Mailick, Mark Walters and Darrell Bazzell
Reconvened in Open Session (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to approve Matthew Call to the Communications Committee. Seconded. Approved.
Meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff