Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 01-09-14Approved 1-23-14
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, January 9, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Denny Hackel, Trish Iaccarino, Heather McFadden, Chair, Kevin Niemi, Vice Chair, Jeff Shokler, Erin Silva
Guests: Deb Brauer, Paul DeLuca, Rosa Garner, Rachel Jeris, Christine Pribbenow, Jenn Sheridan
The meeting was called to order at 2:08 p.m.
The minutes of December 21, 2013 were approved.
Guest: Provost Paul DeLuca
Paul DeLuca requested names for several upcoming search and screen committees for the following Vice Provost positions: Faculty and Staff, Enrollment Management, Diversity and Climate and Teaching and Learning. He requested that ASEC members be represented on the Faculty and Staff and Teaching and Learning search and screen committees due to the close work between ASEC and those committees. Provost DeLuca also briefly discussed the UW System Presidential Search.
• Chair Heather McFadden asked ASEC to consider whether it is time to dissolve the Ad Hoc Committee on HR Design. If necessary, a committee could be formed to deal with future issues surrounding HR Design at that time.
• Secretary Heather Daniels reported that Mary Johansen is resigning from the office to take another position within the University. She also gave an update on the Classified Staff Executive Committee meeting that she and Heather M. attended the week prior. CSEC discussed issues regarding the formation of a large representative governance body.
• Job Security Meeting. Kevin Niemi reported that the job security meeting is being held next week to look at data from previous job security exercises.
• Professional Development and Recognition Committee (PDRC). Kevin reported that he is exchanging emails with the PDRC chairs regarding the request for additional funding. They are reviewing data from the past 10 years.
• Educational Innovations: Erin Silva reported that there is a PVL for the Director of Educational Innovations. Reviews of the applications should take place soon.
• ASEC reviewed the preliminary agenda for the February Assembly meeting.
Guests: Jenn Sheridan, Christine Pribbenow, Rosa Garner, Rachel Jeris, Deb Brauer, and Linda Scholl: Bullying and ASPP discussion
The guests provided a brief background on how they collect data about bullying. There was a discussion about whether Academic Staff Policies and Procedures (ASPP) covers bullying. There was agreement that there should be a campus policy to address bullying. There seemed to be consensus that the unsatisfactory performance definition within ASPP does cover bullying. There was some disagreement about whether the misconduct definition within ASPP would cover this behavior. It was pointed out that the definition of misconduct in ASPP is virtually identical the definition in Faculty Policies and Procedures. It could make sense that these two definitions continue to mirror each other.
• Kevin Niemi attended all of the UW System Presidential Search presentations on behalf of ASEC. He shared his thoughts about the candidates.
• ASEC reviewed a draft email about the Critical Compensation Fund (CCF) exercise and decided to send it out next week, January 13, 2014.
• ASEC asked the Secretary to send out a survey regarding nominees for the search and screen committees that have been requested by Paul DeLuca.
• Next ASEC Meeting, January 23, 2014
-February Assembly AgendaConvene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss appointments to the Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to appoint Russell Dimond to the Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Reconvened in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 4:25 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff