Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 12-12-13
ASEC MinutesMembers Present:
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, December 12, 2013
67 Bascom Hall
Denny Hackel, Trish Iaccarino, Jim Maynard, Heather McFadden, Chair, Robert Newsom, Kevin Niemi, Vice Chair, Jeff ShoklerGuests:
Mo Bischof, Steve Lund
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of November 7, 2013 and December 5, 2013 were approved.Guest: Mo Bischof, Provost Search and Screen Committee
Mo gave an overview of the Provost role and responsibilities. ASEC provided suggestions on qualities and attributes are desirable in the next Provost.
• Chair Heather McFadden reported on possible changes to the membership of the Committee on Women in the University. This committee currently has a faculty majority. The committee has proposed six faculty, six academic staff, six classified staff and others. The University Committee has suggested that they change their proposal to four from each category. Petra Schroeder is the academic staff representative on the ad hoc workgroup suggesting changes to the structure of the Vice Chancellor for Research position. She shared thoughts on the joint meeting with the University Committee.
• Secretary Heather Daniels reported on the first meeting of the planning committee for the Academic Staff Institute to be held on April 1, 2014. She reminded ASEC about the need for an HR Design audience point person.
• Shared Governance Advisory Committee on HR Design. Denny Hackel provided more information about the current HR Design update. Business
• Motion to suggest Heather Daniels as the HR Design audience point person for academic staff. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
• ASEC discussed guests for the upcoming spring semester Assembly meetings as well as possible business items.
• Heather M. shared a draft agenda for the upcoming joint meeting between the Committees on Academic Staff Issues and ASEC. ASEC members made several suggestions for additional items.
• ASEC discussed the need for a liaison to the Classified Staff Executive Committee (CSEC). CSEC currently meets at the same time as ASEC, creating a timing conflict. Heather M. volunteered to serve as the liaison to CSEC. Heather M. will confirm this arrangement with Russell.
• Next ASEC Meeting, December 19, 2013
-Final Preparation for Joint UC/ASEC Meeting
Steve Lund joined ASEC for a discussion of job security data compiled by Kevin Niemi. Steve clarified how the lay off and nonrenewal policies work for people with increased job security. It was decided that a meeting between Kevin, Linda Scholl, Deb Brauer, Bruno Browning, Mo Bischoff and Steve Lund would be planned by the Secretary’s office to address these issues.
Meeting adjourned at 4:44 p.m.Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff