Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 12-05-13Approved 12-12-13
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, December 5, 2013
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Marwa Bassiouni, Denny Hackel, Trish Iaccarino, Jim Maynard, Heather McFadden, Chair, Robert Newsom, Kevin Niemi, Jeff Shokler
Guests: Punam Gupta, Catharine DeRubeis, Kari Knutson, John Lucas, Steve Lund, Kirstin Pires
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of November 21, 2013 were approved.
Guests: Kari Knutson and John Lucas
John and Kari walked ASEC through the role of University Communications as it is today. They also covered what ASEC should do if they are contacted by the media and provided some tips on how to talk to the media.
• Chair Heather McFadden asked ASEC to provide feedback on a draft framework for the ad hoc committee on bullying. The faculty ad hoc committee on bullying met this week. She suggested that ASPP ramifications be considered. Posters from the ad hoc committee on diversity were distributed to ASEC.
• Secretary Heather Daniels asked if academic staff members of the Provost Search and Screen should visit with ASEC before the end of the year. The Athletic Board selection committee met for the first time. They are drafting questions for a brief questionnaire. Heather D. and Mary met with two PDRC members in charge of the Professional Development grants to make modifications for the next round. It should be possible to eliminate any paper forms. They will meet with DoIT to discuss changes to the online system. The Office of the Secretary of the Academic Staff is on target with regard to e-mailing new academic staff and academic staff with new districts.
• Shared Governance Advisory Committee on HR Design. Denny Hackel provided a document on HR Design and a brief update on the projects that are currently in process.
• Denny presented a website page to display the current governance issues are and progress made on these issues. Heather D. reminded ASEC that there will be a new website in the spring.
• Heather M. shared items for discussion with the Chancellor and University Committee on December 19th.
• Next ASEC Meeting, December 12, 2013
-Discussion of December 19th Joint UC/ASEC Meeting
-Assembly Meeting Planning-Spring Semester
-Job Security Data Discussion with Steve Lund
• Guest: Steve Lund shared information about the proposed overload policy and criminal background check policy. State law changed regarding overloads beginning July 1, 2013. Divisions can approve overload requests of $18K or 20% of salary; whichever is greater. Category A academic staff are eligible for overloads, and requests should be sent to the Academic Personnel Office.
In regard to the criminal background check policy; periodic checks must be conducted for positions in trust with access to vulnerable populations every 4 years. Pre-college camps need a check every 2 years. In addition, self-disclosure is required if you are charged or convicted of a crime. Vendors and contractors with routine or unsupervised access to vulnerable populations must make sure employees and volunteers have had a background check. School/college/divisions will check that current employees and volunteers are up to date.
• Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations and appointments to the Mentoring Committee, Director of Purchasing Services Search and Screen Committee and the Director of Housing Search and Screen Committee. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to elect Kevin Niemi as vice chair. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
• Reconvened in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff