Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 02-27-14Approved 3-6-14
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, February 27, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Marwa Bassiouni; Denny Hackel; Trish Iaccarino; Jim Maynard; Heather McFadden, Chair; Kevin Niemi, Vice Chair; Robert Newsom; Jeff Shokler
Guests: Jenny Dahlberg, Linda Scholl, Barb Simons, Steve Stern, Laura Van Toll
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of February 20, 2014 were approved as distributed.
Guest: Steve Stern, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff
Steve reported to ASEC about a meeting he had with the Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee (CEBC) about a pay tool grid. He distributed an example he had put together for the meeting with CEBC. There was discussion about how roll out a pay tool.
He is working on two areas in the time he has left in his current position: faculty diversity appointments and dual-career cases. The campus may need a new model of the economics of dual-career. Currently, bridge funds are given for typically 1 year of dual-career person’s salary. However, dual-career requests are expanding. The current pool of funds will not be able to keep up with the continued growth in requests.
Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss Athletic Board nominations. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Reconvened in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Assembly Standing Committee Chair Report:
Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee (CEBC) and Personnel Policies and Procedures Committee (PPPC): Linda Scholl, Co-Chair of PPPC, explained the job security process, including the flyer and collection of job security data. PPPC believes that the sending the flyer and taking a first look at the data to determine if the tool is working well is something that fits within the scope of their committee. Ideally, they would like to pass along the data analysis to another group, perhaps CEBC. Jenny Dahlberg will take this idea back to CEBC for discussion.
• Chair Heather McFadden shared changes to the Committee on Women in the University that are being presented at the Faculty Senate. She distributed draft language from the Ad Hoc Faculty Committee on Civility in the Academic Workplace. She updated ASEC on the idea of a Professor of Practice title. She reminded ASEC that the Ad Hoc Diversity Committee draft report is out. Lastly, she asked Jim and Robert to update the survey on governance issues.
• Secretary Heather Daniels gave an update on the Professional Development grants and the Executive Education grants.
Kevin Niemi asked whether ASEC should assign a co-liaison for the Mentoring Committee for the remainder of the year. The reason for this would be the changes to the charge of the committee, the term for both co-chairs ending in June, and the term for the current ASEC liaison ending in June.
• Motion to amend the language for the Committee on Women to read as follows: Six academic staff members appointed by academic staff governance to serve three year terms. Seconded. Approved.
• Motion to approve the March Assembly meeting agenda. Seconded. Approved.
• ASEC discussed whether it wanted to acknowledge the draft report on the leadership structure of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Dean of the Graduate School. ASEC decided not to make any comments at this point in the process.
• Next ASEC Meeting, March 6, 2014
-Ad Hoc Committee on Bridge FundingMeeting adjourned at 4:40 p.m.
-Shared Governance Committee Reports
-Guest: Dean Mark Markel
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff