Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 12-04-14Approved 12-18-14
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, December 4, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Marwa Bassiouni; Denny Hackel; Heather McFadden, Chair; Michael Moscicke; Robert Newsom; Kevin Niemi, Vice-Chair
Guests: Linnea Burk, Jake Smith
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of November 20, 2014, were approved without changes.
• Chair Heather McFadden reported that the University Committee has met with Recreational Sports about the composition of the Recreational Sports Board. The proposal for the new committee structure is 3 faculty, 2 academic staff, 2 classified staff, and 7 students or 2 faculty, 2 academic staff, 2 classified staff and 6 students with an ex officio member from Kinesiology. The Classified Research report was presented to the Faculty Senate for information only. She sent an email to Martha Kerner about the Director of Purchasing Search. Martha responded that finalists will be coming to campus, and there will be governance sessions for the finalists.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported that Madison Academic Staff Association (MASA) has asked if she can include MASA events on the calendar on the website. ASEC did not see any objections to this. Heather D. checked with ASEC about a mid-point check in regarding the 2014-15 academic staff governance priorities. She will first try to schedule something during a regular ASEC meeting. Lastly, she reported that she met with the CALS advising group that morning to talk about shared governance.
Guest: Linnea Burk, Mentoring Committee
Linnea shared a survey that the Mentoring Committee developed to be sent to all academic staff about mentoring activities. The Mentoring Committee would like to send out the survey prior to the end of the semester. ASEC offered to inform the Assembly at its meeting on Monday if the Mentoring Committee members were unable to attend.
Marwa reported that she is unable to attend the February and March Campus Planning Committee meetings. ASEC will discuss at an upcoming meeting.
• ASEC Holiday Schedule
ASEC is scheduled to meet on December 18 and January 8.
• Definition of Academic Staff
There was a discussion on the proposed change to the definition of academic staff as well as how to move it forward. ASEC will revisit this issue in January. Motion to approve the proposed changes to ASPP. Seconded. Approved.
• Campus Strategic Plan
ASEC reviewed the campus strategic plan. There were areas of concern around specific wording in some areas. Jake will type up the revisions and send out to ASEC. The changes will be then sent to Maury Cotter.
• Teaching Academic Staff Titles
Heather D. pulled together some historical documents in regards to teaching academic staff titles. These included the Faculty Senate documents regarding the Teaching and Research Professor Titles as well as some documents originally prepared by academic staff committees around this title and Research Professor. The topic will be discussed at an upcoming meeting with the Provost.
• Committee for Instructional Academic Credentials for Higher Learning Commission Reaccreditation
Heather M. mentioned that Michael Bernard-Donals may be forming an ad hoc committee to look how to collect degree information for any course instructors, which will be important for the next accreditation process. ASEC would like Michael Bernard-Donals to talk more about this when he attends the next ASEC meeting.
• Assembly preparation
Heather M. reviewed the ASEC highlights document and asked if there were any additions. She also reported she would frame the hostile and intimidating behavior legislation especially in regards to recent articles.
• Next ASEC Meeting, December 18, 2014
-Definition of academic staffConvened in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations to the University Research Council and the Dean of the School of Education Search and Screen Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
-Hostile and intimidating-next steps
-Guests: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Darrell Bazzell, Vince Sweeney, Michael Bernard-Donals
Reconvened in Open Session (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to nominate Kevin Elicieri, Joan Hall, Bridget Catlin, and Mark Anderson to the University Research Council. Seconded. Approved.
Motion to nominate Troy Dassler, Shari Smith, LaVar Charleston, Julie Klein and John Martin to the Dean of the School of Education Search and Screen Committee. Seconded. Approved.
Meeting adjourned at 3:56 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff