Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 02-20-14
ASEC MinutesMembers Present:
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, February 20, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Denny Hackel, Trish Iaccarino, Heather McFadden, Chair, Kevin Niemi, Robert Newsom, Jeff Shokler, Erin SilvaGuests:
Jenny Dahlberg, Paul DeLuca, Jason Jankoski, Dija Selimi, Brenda Spychalla, Laura Van Toll
The meeting was called to order at 2:03 p.m.
The minutes of February 6, 2014 were approved with corrections.Guest: Paul DeLuca, Provost
Provost DeLuca discussed the classified research bill that has been brought to the legislature. UW-Madison has access to a specialized, compartmentalized information facility (SCIF) approved for information up to top secret in Research Park. The facility operated by separate 501(c3) that was created by the Wisconsin Technology Council. Provost DeLuca also provided updates on the implementation of Office 365. Assembly Standing Committee Chair Report:
Compensation and Economic Benefits: Jenny Dahlberg and Jason Jankoski presented a draft of the Pay Tools Portfolio for academic staff.Reports:
• Chair Heather McFadden reported on changes to FPP regarding the Committee on Women in the University membership. She also asked ASEC members to attend D2P Director and Dean of the School of Pharmacy interviews.
• Secretary Heather Daniels gave an update on the process to fill the position held by Mary Johansen. She also reported on progress for the new round of Professional Development grants that will be announced soon.Liaison Reports:
Trish Iaccarino gave an update on the Librarians Assembly (Library CASI). She participated in a brown bag with other librarians who are involved in shared governance. This committee has become focused on professional development grants and are working on expanding their scope to include other governance activities.Business
• ASEC discussed the March Assembly meeting agenda. Darrell Bazzell has agreed to chair the meeting.Guests: Mentoring Committee Co-Chairs, Dija Selimi and Brenda Spychalla
Brenda and Dija presented a revised charge for the Mentoring Committee to ASEC. These changes would need to go through the Personnel, Policies and Procedures Committee (PPPC). The Mentoring Committee will touch base with PPPC about how this can be moved forward.Business
• Motion to support changes to the Mentoring Committee charge and provide assistance as needed. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
• ASEC discussed where the Job Security Analysis should reside within the structure of academic staff shared governance.
• Next ASEC Meeting, February 27, 2014
-March Assembly Agenda-for decisionConvene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations for the Classified Research Committee. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
-Promotional Review discussion
-Guest: Provost, Steve Stern
Motion to nominate James Kupsch for the Classified Research Committee and Robert Newsom as an alternate (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)Reconvened in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff