Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 11-20-14Approved 12-4-14
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, November 20, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Marwa Bassiouni, Bruno Browning; Denny Hackel; Trish Iaccarino; Heather McFadden, Chair; Michael Moscicke
Guests: Michael Bernard-Donals, Shelly Casto, Tim Gloeckler, Jackie Hank, John Horn, Sarah Mangelsdorf, Casey Newman, Linda Scholl, Jake Smith, Luis Valdez
The meeting was called to order at 2:01 p.m.
The minutes of November 6, 2014, were approved without changes.
Guest: Provost Sarah Mangelsdorf
Provost Mangelsdorf asked ASEC to provide four names for the Dean of the School of Education Search and Screen Committee. The committee needs to meet as soon as possible. Candidates can either be from within the school or work closely with the school.
ASEC discussed with the Provost the current titles used for teaching academic staff. Heather D. will send her some materials on the history of this issue.
Guest: Michael Bernard-Donals, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff
The high-demand memo has gone out. Michael reported that he doesn’t know yet whether we are seeing any requests for academic staff.
Heather M. presented the definition of academic staff document that has been discussed by ASEC. ASEC discussed specific wording with Michael.
Michael talked briefly about the compression equity exercise for faculty, where central funds were matched with school/college funds. The program took place over five years. Michael reported his office is working to find out the extent of salary compression in academic staff ranks, particularly category B staff.
The Faculty Commission on Compensation and Benefits is taking up family leave policies. This issue is also faced by staff. Michael has encouraged the commission to reach out to ASEC and perhaps have a member of academic staff on the committee.
Michael has been sitting in on the Committee on Faculty Supervision. This joint committee between ASEC and the UC has been looking at providing resources for faculty to understand best practices around supervision. The committee has been meeting every couple of weeks and also talking with Don Schutt about this issue.
The idea of sabbatical-like programs for staff is still on the table. He also has been thinking about expanding chair’s chats o academic staff. This would be a natural extension of the professional development that is currently offered by the Vice Provost office.
Guest: Casey Martin, Transportation Services
Casey presented possible changes to the parking permit renewal process for next year. It would become a passive process that would not require any action on the part of the employee. They would plan to implement the new system for 2015. Marwa asked that this issue be sent out to the Assembly for feedback.
Guest: John Horn, Director of Recreational Sports
John gave a history of the Recreational Sports Board. It used to consist of 5 faculty, 5 academic staff and 5 students. Originally Recreational Sports reported to the School of Education. The unit now reports to Darrell Bazzell.
The current board recommended having a board with a majority of students based on a recommendation from ASM. This recommendation was rejected by the University Committee. Recreational Sports is scheduled to visit the University Committee again on December 1.
Jackie Hank reported that she is enjoying her time so far on the Athletic Board. She has been impressed by the organization as well as how important the student athletes are in the governance of athletics.
• Chair Heather McFadden reported that the Provost talked briefly with the University Committee about titles for teaching academic staff. There have been concerns raised by Ian Robertson. She also gave a brief overview with the joint meeting with the University Committee, the Classified Staff Executive Committee, and Ray Cross. The meeting went well. ASEC discussed the letter from the Graduate School CASI regarding the Director of Purchasing Services Search and Screen Committee. Heather McFadden will touch base with Martha Kerner on this issue.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported she learned at the Diversity Forum about two new awards given for teaching. She has inquired with Patrick Sims’ office for more details. She and Jake met with the chairs of the Area Review Committees, who review packets for indefinite appointments. They will be making some changes to the process and plan to advertise it this spring. She has received the post-progression review policy from the Academic Personnel Office. It will be sent to all academic staff. The Secretary’s website has been updated to include a link to the current priorities as well as a link for Permanent PI Status.
Heather McFadden and Michael Moscicke reported about the UW System Academic Staff Representatives meeting. The academic staff and faculty representatives met with Regents Falbo and Milner. This was the first time the reps had met with anyone from the Board of Regents. They talked about strategic planning for UW System. UW System is looking at how to save funds internally.
• Limited Appointments and Academic Staff Governance - for decision
Bruno discussed his resolution for the Assembly on limited appointments and shared governance. There was a motion to approve. Seconded. Approved.
• December Assembly agenda – for decision
There was a motion to approve the December Assembly agenda with the addition of the resolution on limited appointments. Seconded. Approved.
• Cancel January Assembly meeting – for decision
There was a motion to cancel the January Assembly meeting. Seconded. Approved.
• Ad Hoc Committee on Bridge Funding – for decision
There was a motion to dissolve the Ad Hoc Committee on Bridge Funding, and thank them for their work. Seconded. Approved.
• Hostile and Intimidating Behavior Legislation
There was a motion to add back in the sentence about management techniques including the examples given by legal affairs. Seconded. Approved.
• Next ASEC Meeting, December 4, 2014
- ASEC holiday scheduleConvened in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations for the Nominating Committee, the committee to decide on the composition and role of the University Research Council, the Dean of the School of Education Search and Screen Committee, and appointments to the Communications Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
- Definition of academic staff
- Campus strategic plan
Reconvened in Open Session (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to approve the appointment of Diane Stojanovich and Nicholas Schmuhl to the Communications Committee. Seconded. Approved.
Motion to nominate Kevin Elicieri and Toni Ziegler to the University Research Council. Seconded. Approved.
Motion to nominate Katherine Loving and Erica Laughlin to the Nominating Committee. Seconded. Approved.
Meeting adjourned at 4:42 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff