Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 06-12-14Approved 6-26-14
2:00 – 3:45 p.m. Thursday, June 12, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Marwa Bassiouni; Bruno Browning; Denny Hackel; Trish Iaccarino; Jim Maynard; Heather McFadden, Chair; Robert Newsom; Kevin Niemi, Vice-Chair; Jeff Shokler
Guests: Mark Johnson, Michael Moscicke, Jeff Russell, Jake Smith
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of June 5, 2014 were approved.
• Chair Heather McFadden reported Ian Robertson was at the University Committee to discuss the Professor of Practice title. He may visit ASEC at a future meeting. Faculty legislation for civility in the academic workplace is being worked on this summer by Heather M., Jo Ellen Fair and Beth Meyerand and will be presented to the Faculty Senate in the fall.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported that the website will be live tomorrow. Heather D. met with Carole Kolb regarding search and screen committees. It was a productive conversation. She welcomes feedback from the academic staff serving on these committees or in regards to the structured governance interactions with candidates.
• KnowledgeBase for Meeting Materials
Heather D. asked if ASEC liked using the KB for access to meeting materials. ASEC agreed it was helpful and would like the Secretary’s office to continue using it.
• Shared Governance Events for 2014-15
Two large events are being planned for the fall. First, there will be a large academic staff governance orientation for Assembly Representatives and Shared Governance Committee Representatives. The second event would be a Shared Governance Reception/Recruitment event for the faculty and staff shared governance bodies. Both will be held in late September/early October. In addition to these events, there will continue to be an Academic Staff Governance Planning Meeting in August.
• Jane Wellman Discussion
ASEC discussed the presentation and shared governance discussion with Jane Wellman.
• Search and Screen Nominations and Nominating Committee
ASEC felt strongly that it should not provide the names of people who have nominated themselves for previous search and screen committees. They will consider revising the process for next year to allow nominees to give their permission for their names to be shared with the Nominating Committee.
• Next ASEC Meeting, June 26, 2014
- Limited appointments and governanceGuests: Jeff Russell, Educational Innovation Core Team, and Mark Johnson, Director of Educational Innovation
- Guests: Paul DeLuca and Ray Taffora
Jeff explained that the limitations placed on academic staff roles in instruction came up quite a bit during the listening sessions held by Educational Innovations (EI). It has been identified as a priority that needs to be worked on. There was also a brief discussion regarding the Professor of Practice title and the honorific title of teaching professor.
Convened in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to nominate or appoint members to the Distinguished Prefix Committee, Area Review Committee and various shared governance committees for terms beginning July 1, 2014 (Moved. Seconded. Approved)
Motion to nominate/appoint the following academic staff to the committees as indicated. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Area Review Committee – Biological/Medical Sciences
Melgardt De Villiers
Area Review Committee – Physical Sciences/Engineering
Area Review Committee – Humanities/Social Sciences
Area Review Committee – Administration/Student Services/Library
Ye (Dianna) Xu
Campus Diversity and Climate
Dean of Students Advisory Committee
Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee
Fraternities and Sororities
Lakeshore Nature Preserve
Rec Sports Board
Research, Safety, and Compliance
Student Academic Misconduct
Student Hearing Examiners
Student Non-academic Misconduct Hearing Board
Undergrad Recruitment, Admissions, and Financial Aid
Women in the University
Reconvened in Open Session (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 3:54 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff