Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 01-30-14
ASEC MinutesMembers Present:
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, January 30, 2014
54 Bascom Hall
Marwa Bassiouni, Trish Iaccarino, Jim Maynard, Heather Mc Fadden, Chair, Kevin Niemi, Vice Chair, Jeff Shokler, Erin SilvaGuests:
Paul DeLuca, Steve Stern
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of January 23, 2014 were approved as distributed.Guest:
Provost Paul DeLuca, Weekly Update
The migration to Office 365 will be delayed by two months due to subtleties in the transition. Interviews have concluded for the Discovery 2 Product Director and a name will be announced soon.Assembly Standing Committee Chair Reports
• CEBC –Jenny Dahlberg
; Jenny announced addition of new member, Russell Dimond. CEBC now has a full committee; currently they are working on a titling survey for academic staff and on a white paper on dual roles.
• Communications – Peter Kleppin
; Peter reported that Communications is having trouble with a clear understanding of their committee’s charge. The group is confused as to how their charge translates to tangible goals associated with assembly engagement. Discussion ensued with brainstorming and suggestions as to how to capture more engagement and shared governance education. Possibilities included: brown bag sessions given by committee members across campus, partnering with CASI’s to promote information, using the ‘all academic staff’ listserv to send ASEC minutes instead of Academic Staff Representatives sending minutes to their districts, etc.Guest:
Steve Stern, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff; Steve discussed the Toolkit and initiatives. He also related that the agility agenda is less shackled by old rules followed in the past and it is in the draft stage. Ideas being addressed:
• Job security;
• Infrastructure of excellence – open/expanding time for grant writing and time for shared governance activities;
• Professional development – this area was overtaken by other events;
• Distinguished guidelines have been revised – question raised about appropriate number of steps required in order to be promoted.
• Critical Compensation Fund is in the second round Heather Mc Fadden suggested an email from deans informing their schools of the CCF exercise.
• Discussion took place regarding the qualities to look for in the next Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff.
• Chair Heather Mc Fadden updated the committee on the alcohol policy. The article on the new alcohol policy in Inside UW Madison was modified to reflect review by shared governance but not approval. Business
• Motion made to approve February 10, 2014 Academic Staff Assembly Meeting agenda (Moved by Marwa Bassiouni. Seconded. Approved).Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations for Vice Provost for Enrollment Management Search and Screen Committee, Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning Search and Screen Committee and Nominating Committee Slate (Moved by Trish Iaccarino. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to approve Mallory Musolf for the Nominating Committee slate (Moved by Jeff Shokler; seconded by Trish Iaccarino; approved.)
Motion to approve Jeffrey Shokler to serve on the VP for faculty and staff and Screen search (moved by Jim Maynard; seconded by Kevin Niemi; approved)Reconvene in Open Session (Moved by Marwa. Seconded. Approved.)
The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.Submitted by Mary Johansen, attending in Heather Daniels' absence.