Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 08-15-13Approved 8/27/13
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, August 15, 2013
67 Bascom Hall
Members present: Marwa Bassiouni, Denny Hackel, Trish Iaccarino, Heather McFadden, Chair, Robert Newsom, Kevin Niemi, Jeff Shokler
Guests: Ryan Adserias, Ida Balderrama-Trudell, Andrew Lokuta, Consuelo Lopez-Springfield, Karin Silet
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes for August 8, 2013 were approved with corrections.
Guests: Members of the Ad Hoc Diversity Plan Committee
The Ad Hoc Diversity Plan Committee members discussed their plans for the upcoming semester. They have formed five subgroups this past spring. These include: Access, Wisconsin Idea, Creativity and Innovation, Culture and Climate and Accountability. The goal is to have a working document/framework by January. The committee will meet with Chancellor Blank in early September to hear her ideas. They plan to have outreach sessions on campus this fall. A new website is being developed for this committee.
• Chair: Heather M. is working with Michael Bernard-Donals to craft the agenda for the joint meeting with Chancellor Blank. ASEC and UC do have some commonalities in their top priorities. Heather and Michael will work together to develop and present these common topics; followed by each group’s discussion of other priorities. The UC is going to charge two committees: faculty bullying and ad hoc committee on the Americans with Disabilities Act. Heather M and Heather D met with Rosa Garner regarding next week’s academic staff governance retreat. The goal of the retreat will be to pick three priorities and three ways to work to achieve these priorities.
• Secretary: Heather Daniels reported on the new knowledgebase that was launched this week to house agendas, minutes and documents. She also gave preliminary numbers of the priorities survey.
• Letter to Lori Berquam, Dean of Students, and Sarah Van Orman, Director of University Health Services, was discussed. ASEC moved and approved that the letter be sent out by Heather M.
• The appointment process for new Academic Staff Assembly representatives was discussed. ASEC moved and approved that new Academic Staff Assembly Representative appointments be automatically sent to the representatives by the Office of the Secretary of the Academic Staff.
• ASEC received the list of priorities that were given in response to last week’s question.
• Academic Staff Assembly Agenda for September 9, 2013: Heather D. gave an update on the agenda. Darrell Bazzell, Vice Chancellor for Administration, agreed to chair the meeting. MASA, ASPRO and Katherine Loving, Campus Community Partnerships Coordinator for University Health Services, all agreed to address the Assembly briefly. The agenda will be presented for approval at the August 27th ASEC meeting.
• There was a brief discussion regarding the Assembly Representative Orientation that will take place near the end of September. Suggestions included a panel of experienced representatives and a listening lunch perhaps where ASEC presents this year’s strategic priorities. It was also suggested that brief presentations by the Mentoring Committee, Professional Development and Recognition Committee or the Nominating Committee might be good.
• Next ASEC Meeting, August 27, 2013: There will be two agenda items: 1) Approve the September 9th Assembly agenda, 2) Finish planning for the meeting with Chancellor Blank.
• Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss appointments to the Shared Governance Advisory Committee on HR Design, Advisory Committee on Budget Issues, Policies and Strategies, and UW System President Search and Screen Committee. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to approve Dang Chonwerawong to the Advisory Committee on Budget Issues, Policies and Strategies (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to nominate Donna Cole to the Shared Governance Advisory Committee on HR Design (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
• Reconvene in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.
Submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff