Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 08-08-13Approved 8/15/13
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, August 8, 2013
67 Bascom Hall
Members present: Marwa Bassiouni, Denny Hackel, Trish Iaccarino, Jim Maynard, Heather McFadden, Chair, Robert Newsom, Jeff Shokler, Past Chair, Erin Silva, Vice Chair (via telephone)
Guests: Jenny Dahlberg, CEBC
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes for August 1, 2013 were approved as distributed.
• Chair: Heather McFadden reported that the Deans of School of Human Ecology and Business have become interested and are working on the topic of bullying. Heather will be a member of a new campus working group on this subject. She also asked ASEC about an e-mail from the Dean of Students office regarding the required alcohol training for freshmen. Heather M. will draft and send an email with questions raised by ASEC. She will also discuss this issue with the other shared governance chairs.
• Secretary: Heather Daniels reported that she is working on getting up to speed on several issues including the new website, appeals and the electronic submission system.
• Discussion of 2012-2013 Priorities: ASEC reviewed the priorities from last year in preparation for Academic Staff Governance priority setting meeting.
• Issues Survey: A draft survey was distributed. ASEC discussed how to change the survey and moved that it should be sent out by the Secretary of the Academic Staff Office on Monday to all academic staff with a response due date of August 19.
• Discussion of Areas to Cover in August 27th Meeting with Chancellor Rebecca Blank: ASEC reviewed the briefing document prepared by ASEC for Chancellor Blank’s arrival and talked about what other issues Heather M. should discuss with Michael Bernad-Donals, chair of the University Committee. Survey results will be available by the time ASEC meets with Chancellor Blank. ASEC agreed that the briefing issues in the document are still the ones of most concern.
• Multiple Roles Discussion: This is a continuing concern to academic staff. The general principle seems to be supported by administration. The ad hoc committee on dual roles determined that the difference in pay is one of the most difficult issues. There is a large pay differential between research staff and teaching staff. Effort reporting is also a constraint. Heather M. will start a conversation with Michael Bernard-Donals about this issue. Robert Newsom would be interested in reformatting the ad hoc committee and add someone who has had multiple roles.
• Academic Staff Assembly Agenda for September 9, 2013: Discussion ensued regarding the introductions of assembly representatives and how best to do this. It was agreed to have reps would introduce themselves in the small groups where they are already sitting. ASEC decided to invite MASA, ASPRO, Steve Lund and Katherine Loving to give short presentations/updates at the meeting.
• Next ASEC Meeting, August 16, 2013: Heather D. is waiting to hear from the Ad Hoc Committee on the Diversity Plan. They will be the only guests. In addition, discussion will continue on the August 27th meeting with Chancellor Blank.
• Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss appointments to the Shared Governance Advisory Committee on HR Design, Advisory Committee on Budget Issues, Policies and Strategies, and UW System President Search and Screen Committee. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
o Motion to nominate Robin Kurtz to the UW System President Search and Screen Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
• Reconvene in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
The meeting was adjourned at 4:25 p.m.
Submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff