UW-Madison Google Workspace - Enabling Offline editing for Google Drive
Offline editing for Google Drive allows you to edit your Google documents, spreadsheets, and drawings without internet access using Google Chrome. Only one Google account can be configured for offline editing for each Google Chrome profile -- so if you have previously enabled offline editing for another account, you will need to create a new profile within Google Chrome. To enable offline editing for UW-Madison Google Workspace , see instructions below.
From Google Chrome, log in to UW-Madison Google Workspace with your NetID and password using the following URL:
If you have multiple UW-Madison Google Workspace accounts, select your desired account from the list provided.
If you only have one UW-Madison Google Workspace account, you will be logged into your account automatically.
- Select More from the menu on the left-hand side
- Within the More menu, select Offline
- In order to enable offline editing, you will need to have the Drive Chrome web app installed. If you already the Drive Chrome web app installed, you will see the following:
- If you don't have the Drive Chrome web app installed, you may need to log in to a personal Google account to install it due to some restrictions involving the Chrome Web Store, Google Wallet, and Google Apps for Education:
- Log in to your personal account and repeat the steps above, then install the Drive Chrome web app when prompted.
- After the installation is complete, you will need to log out of your personal account and log back into you UW-Madison Google Workspace account.
- Then continue with instructions below.
- Click the Enable Offline button
- Offline editing is now enabled for you account. You can now access your Google documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and drawings offline using Google Chrome.
For additional information, please see: