My UW-Madison - My Courses Map Portlet for Students and Classes I Teach Map Portlet for Instructors
My Courses Map Portlet/Classes I Teach Map Portlet will display a student's or instructor's class schedule for a term if the class has a location entered into the student information system. The map uses google map functionality and the user is able to view the mapped classes in a list, add bike trails, zoom in and out and view street level imagery.
Accessing the Portlet:
Use the following instructions to access the My Courses Map/Classes I Teach portlet:
- Begin by logging into My UW-Madison at https://my.wisc.edu
- Select Browse on the left hand side of the page and type 'map' in the Search bar. The My Courses Map or Classes I Teach Map box should appear.
- Select the red Add to home button to add it to your home page or the green Launch button to open the module.
Using the Portlet:
The course map will default to the current term and classes for that term will appear on the right hand side of the map. You can use the term drop down to switch between terms. Hovering over the red marker on the map will display the building name and clicking the marker will display the classes, from your schedule, that are located in that building with the time, day and room number.
The toggle bike layer link at the bottom of the map will show the user where the bike routes are located. The 'List View' link will display the classes for the displayed term in a list instead of the map view.
If a student or instructor is not enrolled or teaching for the displayed term, or they have no classes with meeting locations, the following message will appear:
Navigating the Portlet:
There are two ways you can navigate or move your view.
- To move the North, South, East or West map using your keyboard and mouse, do one of the following:
- Click and drag the map
- Press the up arrow on your keyboard to move north
- Press the down arrow on your keyboard to move south
- Press the right arrow on your keyboard to move east
- Press the left arrow on your keyboard to move west
- Additionally, you can zoom in or out pressing the ± keys. Move the cursor over a location and use the mouse scroll button to zoom in or out on that location.To move the map using the navigation controls on the left hand side of the map:
- Arrows - Click the appropriate arrow buttons to move the view north, south, east or west.
- Street View - Click to view street-level imagery
- Zoom - Click plus symbol to zoom in on the center of the map. Click minus symbol to zoom out.
- Zoom slider - Drag the zoom slider up or down to zoom in or out incrementally.