Initial Review Tips for IRB Members
Instructions for IRB Members
The Basics of Completing an Initial Review in ARROW
I received an email from ARROW telling me that the agenda for an upcoming meeting I am attending is available. How do I check if I have been assigned any initial reviews?
STEP 1: Log into your ARROW account using your NetID. If you have more than one role in the system (e.g. study team member and IRB member), be sure that you're using your IRB Member role (notated in the gold bar in the upper left corner of your personal workspace).
STEP 2: Find and click on the study to review in your "Inbox: Initials" tab. You are now in the submission workspace. This is where you will find the application and all supporting documentation (e.g. protocols, consent forms, recruitment materials, IDBs, etc.), as well as staff reviewer checklists.
The order of the following steps is variable and can be rearranged to suit your reviewing style (for example, if you like to review the scientific protocol first, then look at the application, or look at staff reviewer checklists first, and then supplemental materials, etc.)
STEP 1: Review the Initial Review Application. To do this, click on the "View Application" activity, located just under the gold "state" bar. This will open the Initial Application SmartForm.
TIPS:STEP 2: Review all supporting documentation. Study teams will upload all of their supplemental materials in the Initial Application SmartForm. To review these documents, you must go to the correct section of the SmartForm and download the desired file. See Finding Study-Related Documents in ARROW for the location of supporting materials within the SmartForm.
- You can page through this form using the "Continue" button or you can jump to any section using the "Jump To" menu in the blue tool bar in the upper right.
- Many reviewers like to look at one long scrollable document of the entire application. This can be done by creating a .pdf document. To do this, click "file" and "print" as you normally would to print a document. Before selecting "ok" in the print activity, first select "adobe .pdf" in the list of printers available. Instead of printing this document, it will create a .pdf document, which you can then save.
- Once you have a .pdf document, you can use the "sticky note" feature in Adobe to make any notes as your review the application.
STEP 3: Download and complete the Reviewer Checklists. To do this, click on the "Print Reviewer Checklist: activity. Bring this completed form with you to the IRB Meeting at which your study is being reviewed, OR bring a laptop with you to the meeting so that you can update your checklist as necessary and email a completed copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHO TO CONTACT
- Help with navigating and using ARROW
- Questions about a specific protocol