HR - Hire Using a Position
This guide will walk you through the steps of hiring a person using a position.
- The Position must be in HRS before the hire process can be completed; see HR - Position Management
- If this hire is a University Staff - Temporary Employment without using a position; see HR - Hire Employee into a Job without a Position (Non-Madison)
- Adjusted Continuous Service Date (ACSD) is required to calculate leave accruals for University Staff Ongoing (CP) and University Staff Project - FT Finite (CJ) employees and by ETF for all WRS-enrolled employees; see HR - UW Personal - Adjusted Continuous Service Date
- If this is a Position of Trust, that designation will need to be added after all steps have been completed; see HR - Criminal Background Check - Position of Trust (includes report)
- If this is a Faculty hire that is eligible for tenure, initial tenure data should be added after the hire steps are complete; see HR - Tenure Tracking
- If there is a contract, contract details can be added after the hire steps are complete' see HR - Contract Administration HRS
If you have just added the person information and selected Employee and Add Relationship on the Organizational Relationships tab, skip to step 4.
- Navigate to Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Organizational Relationships > New Employment Instance
- Enter the employee's Empl ID.
- Click Add Relationship.
- Enter the employee's start date in the Effective Date field.
- Click the Calculate Status and Dates button.
- Verify the Action is Hire.
- From the Reason list, select the appropriate reason for the Hire (example: Original/New Hire).
- Enter the Position number and tab out of the field. Verify that Company, Business Unit, Department, Location and Establishment ID auto-populated correctly based on the Position Number.
- Enter the Expected Job End Date if required. This field is required for Continuity of 02 or 05; see HR - Continuity Status Overview
- Click on the Job Information tab.
- Verify that Job Code, Reports To, Empl Class, Full/Part, Pay Basis and Standard Hours/FTE were auto-populated correctly.
Other fields on this tab that may be used are:
- Seasonal; see HR - Maintain Workforce - Seasonal Employees
- Officer Code; see HR - Officer Code Listing - Job Aid
- Contract Number; see HR - Contract Administration HRS
- UWC/UWEX Program Area: This is used by UW Colleges and Extension to indicate program area; see HR - UWC / UWEX Program Area - Job Aid
- Encumbrance Override: Click this checkbox if the department chooses not to encumber the earnings.
NOTE: HRS automatically places a checkmark in the Encumbrance Override indicator field if the employee's Standard Hours are 4.0 or less hours per week; this cannot be changed. See FN - Nightly Encumbrance Process and FN - Department Setup Verification Report
Note: For employees paid on a monthly basis, also click the Conversion tab to ensure Apply FTE is checked (not shown).
Note: The Encumbrances Section will automatically fill after save.
- Click the flag icon.
- Click the Accrue Tenure Services checkbox; see HR - Tenure Tracking
- HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview
- HR - Continuity Status Overview
- HR - Contract Administration HRS
- HR - Criminal Background Check - Position of Trust (includes report)
- HR - Hire Employee into a Job without a Position (Non-Madison)
- HR - HR Report List
- HR - Maintain Workforce - Seasonal Employees
- HR - Officer Code Listing - Job Aid
- HR - Position Management
- HR - Tenure Tracking
- HR - UW Personal - Adjusted Continuous Service Date
- HR - UWC / UWEX Program Area - Job Aid
- FN - Nightly Encumbrance Process
- FN - Department Setup Verification Report