Classes may be denoted as combined sections within SIS
Combined sections are courses that are either cross-listed or a meets-with. Below are the requirements needed for a section to be classified as such.
Cross-Listed (permanent bond)
- Must have the same catalog number (i.e. Biology 130 and Botany 130)
- Must be approved by the University Curriculum Committee - all departments submit a letter of support
- Cross-listed courses have automatic bonds - departments don't submit a "meets-with sections" form
- Course data is synced when Curricular Services runs a cross-list sync. After publication a cross-list sync is run frequently (minimally once per week).
- What doesn't sync between members? Footnotes, requested room cap, enrollment cap, waitlist cap, and honors
Meets-With (temporary bond)
- Don't have to be the same catalog number
- University Curriculum Committee approval not required
- The only items that are kept in sync among meets-with members is the meeting pattern information (room, time, days, instructor info, and room characteristics)
- Meets-with bonds can be set up to roll forward with term roll
- To have a meets-with bond set up you should submit an online sections combined form to Curricular Services.
Other Sections Combined Notes
- All members should update their own section-level enrollment capacity
- The primary department is responsible for updating combined enrollment capacity. This can be updated on Combined Section Detail page, which is accessed by clicking on the Combined Section link located in the Class enrollment limits tab in the Update Sections of a Class page in SIS.
- On the Combined Section Detail page you can also determine who is primary - the primary subject is listed to the right of the Combined Sections ID
- All members of a bond can access the Combined Sections Detail page in SIS