UW-Madison Zoom - Hosts may enable attendees to change/modify their display name during an event
When a user joins a Zoom meeting, their display name will be displayed within the participant list associated with their Zoom account they are signed in with. As a host or co-host, you have the ability to allow participants to rename themselves or rename a participant on their behalf.
IMPORTANT: By default, the ability for participants to rename themselves is disabled within your settings. The UW-Madison Zoom defaults have been vetted and put in place by the UW-Madison Cybersecurity Office to support classroom use.
Allow participants to rename themselves
Important: By enabling this feature, you may open yourself up to Zoombombing.
- Prior to your meeting, access your UW-Madison Zoom settings.
- Search for "Allow participants to rename themselves".
- Enable the setting.
Rename a participant during the event
Note: Hosts and co-hosts have the ability to rename a participant. This change will only affect this meeting.
- During the event, click 'Manage Participants' in the host controls to display the participants list.
- Click the drop-down menu located at the top-left corner to open the participants list or click Pop Out to separate the participants list from the meeting window.
- Hover over a participant and click More.
- Click Rename. Note: This change only applies to the current meeting.