UW-Madison Zoom - Consolidate your free personal Zoom account to UW-Madison Zoom
This document will explain what to expect after you consolidate your personal Zoom account and how to consolidate your account to the UW-Madison Zoom service.
You must change the email address of your personal Zoom account to email@example.com before consolidating, if you are using any other email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you have an existing Zoom account that was provided by your division (e.g., UHS, Extension), do not follow the steps below and reach out to your Zoom account owner to coordinate when consolidation is appropriate.
If you want to keep your personal Zoom account separate from your UW-Madison Zoom account or if you are not eligible, change your personal account’s email address now to a non @wisc.edu address (e.g., @gmail.com).
|Free personal Zoom account||UW-Madison Zoom account|
- Features are limited.
- 40-minute maximum group meetings.
- No option for Single Sign On (SSO), so you’ll need to remember another password for the Zoom account.
- Not protected by the UW-Madison Zoom terms of service.
- Basic license. Need to pay for premium features.
- No branded URL.
- Activate or consolidate your personal @wisc.edu Zoom account to immediately gain access to more features.
- Unlimited time for group meetings.
- Single Sign on (SSO) - You will log in with your NetID and password.
- Protected by the UW-Madison Zoom terms of service.
- No need to pay for premium features.
- Branded URL: https://uwmadison.zoom.us
Return to top
Account-level and user settings will be changed to mirror the default settings of the main University account.
Settings that will consolidate:
- Meeting links will continue to work.
- If you previously used a email@example.com email address for your personal Zoom account, you will continue to have the same address for your UW-Madison Zoom account.
- Your Personal Meeting ID will be the same.
- Your personal account settings will consolidate to your UW-Madison Zoom account.
- Cloud recordings - as long as the user is licensed for UW-Madison Zoom account. Important: Except for users who are part of the Health Care Component sub-account (HIPAA). In addition, it is recommended that you save your recording(s) in a video hosting service.
- Meeting templates will be consolidated.
Settings/data that will not consolidate:
- Polling data/reports will not be migrated - if you need to save any of this data, please see Zoom's Getting Started with reports support article.
- Meeting/Webinar registration data will not be migrated - if you need to save any of this data, please see Zoom's Getting Started with reports support article.
- Your UW-Madison Zoom account will only use your firstname.lastname@example.org email address; cannot use a email@example.com email address
- The login URL will be different:
- You will need to sign into your Zoom desktop client using SSO.
- Company domain: uwmadison
- If you stayed sign in on other devices, you will be signed out and will need to sign in again using SSO.
- If you used a firstname.lastname@example.org email address for your personal Zoom account, you will no longer be able to use this address for your UW-Madison Zoom account.
Return to top
I have a personal Zoom account that is using my email@example.com email address. What should I do?
- You can continue to log in to zoom.us with your firstname.lastname@example.org address.
- If you log into https://uwmadison.zoom.us, you will be prompted to consolidate to your UW-Madison licensed account.
- Go to https://uwmadison.zoom.us
- Click Sign in.
- Enter your NetID credentials.
- You will be prompted to confirm your email address. Click Confirm your email address.
- After you click on Confirm your email address, you will receive a confirmation email from Zoom.
- Check your email@example.com email account to complete the consolidation of your personal firstname.lastname@example.org email address to the UW-Madison Zoom service.
- In the email you received, click on Switch to the new account.
- When you click on the Switch to the new account button, you'll be taken to a page to accept your invitation to consolidate. If you select:
- Sign in to your Current Account, you are choosing not to accept your invitation to consolidate and upgrade your personal account to a UW-Madison Zoom account.
- I Acknowledge and Switch, you are accepting your invitation to consolidate and upgrade your personal account to a UW-Madison Zoom account.
- After accepting your invitation to consolidate, you can start using your UW-Madison Zoom account right away. Learn how to start using your account here: UW-Madison Zoom - Getting started .
Return to top
I have a personal Zoom account using an email address other than a email@example.com email address. What should I do?
Change your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible if you would like to consolidate your personal account to a UW-Madison Zoom account.
- If you do not rename your account prior to consolidation, you will need to contact the DoIT Help Desk.
- If you are using Zoom for personal reasons or aren’t eligible for UW-Madison Zoom (see above eligibility requirements), rename it to your personal email address (e.g. email@example.com).
Steps to rename your account.
- If prompted for consolidation, click Skip for this time.
- After logging in to your personal account, go to Profile > Sign-In Email > Edit
- Enter your firstname.lastname@example.org email address and click Save Changes.
- Check your email@example.com mailbox for an email from Zoom. Click on the link provided in the email.
- Sign in to https://uwmadison.zoom.us again. When prompted to consolidate, follow the consolidation steps provided above.
If you are still having issues renaming your account, please contact the DoIT Help Desk for assistance: Get Help from DoIT.
Return to top
I have a personal/consumer Zoom account using a firstname.lastname@example.org email address. What should I do?
If your intention is to use this account within UW-Madison Zoom tenant, then follow the step outlined in UW-Madison Zoom - Getting Started with Service Accounts.
Return to top