WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Adding a User to Your Site
This document describes the steps to follow when adding a user to your WiscWeb WordPress site. If you have troubles adding a new user, please review our Troubleshooting tips at the bottom of this page.
- You must be a Site Administrator in order to add a new user to your site
- You must know the user's NetID to add them to your site.
Adding a User
Please use the following steps to add a user:
- Access the Dashboard for your site
- Hover your mouse over the Users section and then click on Add by NetID
- In the next screen, enter the user's NetID value and choose which user role you want to assign to them. Once you have that in, click Add User.
- Once the user is added, you will be brought back to your full users list. Note that the new user may be added with limited information initially, but this will automatically update when the user logs in for the first time.
- The user will need to log in by navigating to https://wiscweb.wisc.edu/wp-admin and authenticating with their username and password. After they've signed in, they will see your site in the "My Sites" list in the upper left of the screen.
The following are reasons you may not be able to add a new user to your project:
- If the user has changed their name, their NetID (and preferred email address) has likely also changed. You may need to add the NetID to the project as a new user, even if the old NetID is still listed in the project. Please note that if you delete their old NetID account from the project, you will be asked to reassign their content (like pages and posts) or else it will be lost. It is suggested that you add their new NetID to the site first, then delete the old one, so that you can reassign their content to the new NetID.