Academic Staff Communications Committee Minutes 11-07-19
Academic Staff Communications Committee
Monthly Meeting Minutes
Thursday, November 7, 2019 – 1 to 2 p.m.2019-20 ASCC members in attendance:
Union South – Alumni (2nd floor)
Stephanie Elkins, Robyn Perrin, Howard Veregin, Ashley Voss, Lori Wilson
1. Review and approval of minutes from the September 5 meeting (carryover from Oct. meeting) –
2. Communications Committee membership update – Lindsay Lemmer is no longer on-campus, so we will receive a new member.
3. Communications Committee ASPP update –
• Stephanie to make motion at academic staff assembly meeting.
• Ashley to attend meeting, as well.
4. Subcommittee/group progress reports and feedback session
i. Newsletter content: Robyn Perrin, Howard Veregin
ii. Newsletter mechanics: Lori Wilson
iii. Website: Ashley Voss
• Status update – What have you been up to? What conclusions did you come to?
o Content –
This group’s main focus has been TTC.
• Job descriptions pushed back until 11/11, which is when the forums start.
• Committee to send draft proposed email language to Heather/Jake:
o reporting out forums after forums.
o Link to video.
o Meetings with supervisors.
• Content group to take first stab at this and circulate. Stephanie to send content via Teams. Robyn to send thoughts. She will attend 11/11. Stephanie and Lori to attend 11/12.
o Could do 2 emails. One before online 11/20 and one about reading job descriptions and meeting with supervisors, etc. after it’s all said and done.
Team to review Linda’s thoughts on Teams.
o Mechanics – Lori and Kyle will meet Monday to confirm plan and send out via Teams for review after.
o Website –
Ashley met with Jake and Heather and found out the following data points:
• The consultant does not charge for development and meetings.
• Everything online was organized about six years ago.
• They’re flexible as far as what news content is on there and how to sort. Some thoughts are:
o Upcoming deadlines
o Academic staff in the news
• Stories can be posted online and linked to from email newsletter.
• Current website visitors are 80-90 percent from a desktop, probably because they are at work. Mobile isn’t a priority (but we don’t know if mobile would increase with a more mobile-friendly site). If we want to get access to look more into what content people are looking at, we can get that.
• Heather and Jake agree the KB should stay.
• An hourly student helps update the site.
• It may be helpful for the committee to provide wireframes to use with the consultant.
• Questions for the group and other groups – What details do you need from the larger group or other groups to move forward?
• Recommendations you’d like to forward to ASEC/Academic Staff Assembly/Secretary’s Office, focused on how can we improve the final product, while also helping them and making things easier for them with their existing resources?
• Next steps:
1. Lori will take the discussions and draft documents and create new docs for each group that is split into: Challenges, Recommendations, Questions. These documents will be done by 11/11.
2. Each group has a document custodian that will help move it along. These are:
a. Howard = content
b. Ashley = website
c. Lori = mechanics
3. We’ll plan to review, add comments and thoughts to all three documents (not limited to your group) the week of 11/11.
4. We’ll incorporate changes and finalize the week of 11/18.
5. We’ll submit the week of Thanksgiving.
5. Next meeting: Thursday, December 5 – 1-2pm @ 52 Bascom Hall