Learn@UW - Problems Accessing MathCad Files
This document explains how to resolve any of the following problems accessing a Mathcad content file on your machine:
You cannot launch the Mathcad application.
You must have Mathcad 8 or later installed on your machine. (Mathcad 11 or later is preferred). Mathcad has been frozen at version 6 for Macintoshes, so you need the Windows version to access MathCad items.
- If you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer, such as Firefox, the browser must be configured to open Mathcad files containing a .mcd extension, with Mathcad.
If you are using Internet Explorer, Windows must be configured to open Mathcad files containing a .mcd extension, with Mathcad.
- Open Internet Explorer on your Windows machine.
- From the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- Select the Programs tab.
- Press the Set programs button.
- Select "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" to open the "Set Associations" screen.
- Select .mcd from the list of file extensions.
- Press the Change program button.
- Browse to the Mathcad application and press Open.
- Check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and then click OK.
- Click Close to exit the "Set Associations" screen.
You cannot view a Mathcad file.
- Files in the Mathcad application must be saved as .mcd files, not as .xmcd files. Newer versions of Mathcad allow saving files as .mcd or .xmcd. Files saved as .mcd will display correctly. Files saved as .xmcd will display as text files or XML script files.
You cannot download a Mathcad file.
- You cannot download a content file by right-clicking it and selecting Save Target As or Save Link As. Refer to Learn@UW - Options for Downloading Content from a Course. for instructions on how to download content. Alternatively, open the Mathcad file by left-clicking it and select File -> Save As in the MathCad interface to download the file.
You receive the message "The page cannot be found" even though the Mathcad file resides in a course folder.
- The MIME type is not registered on your site for Mathcad (.mcd) files. If you are at UW-Madison, please contact the DoIT Help Desk for assistance with this problem. Otherwise, contact your campus help desk.